Does my Chin Implant Need Correction? (photo)

I had a silicone implant inserted almost 2.5 months ago. I find that when I smile, it appears it is flat and raised or too high. Is it possible to correct this without surgery? Will my surgeon be able to go back and correct this without additional cost to me? He claims a chin impant has to go above the chin and not right on the chin. I can feel a ridge between my actual chin and the implant - the implant is much higher/closer to my teeth than expected. Could this still be swelling?

High Chin Implant Position

+2

What you are seeing is not swelling, that is the implant.There is not a real good reason to have an implant that sits way above the lower border of the chin...as it can cause the exact problem that you now have in addition to not maximizing the amount of horizontal chin projection. Ultimately repositioning of the implant will need to be done. 

Chin Implant Lowering

+1

The chin implant can be lowered by dissecting the pocket lower and securing to the bone if necessary.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Chin implant revision

+1

I agree your chin implant appears too high. Luckily, revision should be relatively straightforward. Good luck!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does my Chin Implant Need Correction?

+1

Appears as a very slight dislodgment but very hard to diagnose over the internet. Only in person examination will allow determination of a slippage. 

Chin implant revision

+1

The chin implant , in most cases, should be placed lower than it appears to be from youir pictures. If there are preoperative pictures to compare, I and the others, might be able to say more. Have your doctor compare before and after pictures. If he can't satisfy your concerns, get another opinion. Be sure to get copies of your preoperative pictures to bring along.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon