Is my capsular contraction returning? (photo)

Im 8 days post op. I had a capsular contraction on my left side which was corrected by implant change and after felt nice and soft but now feels lumpy again does this mean capsular contraction is returning? My left breast is very swollen also had both nipples lowered, very worried my left breast will remain bigger than my right

Do I have recurring capsule contracture?

+2

It is far too early to start worrying. Breast asymmetry is very common after breast surgery. After breast surgery, it can take up to 6 to 8 weeks for most of the swelling to decrease. It takes several months for capsular contracture to develop. Basically, capsular contracture is scarring around a breast implant. Scarring is your body's natural reaction to a foreign body. In this case, the foreign bodies are breast implants. Some patients develop thin capsules, whereas other patients develop thick capsules. There are many causes for breast capsules, both known and unknown.

To decrease your chances of capsular contracture, first of all, I would suggest consulting with your plastic surgeon. I would advise taking antibiotics and performing implant displacement exercises. Clinically, both have been shown to decrease the incidence of breast capsule contracture. In addition, I would also suggest taking Singulair. In several clinical studies, Singular was shown to decrease the chance of breast capsular contracture.

Too early to tell

+1

It is too early to tell if you are getting capsular contraction. The best thing to do is follow up with your plastic surgeon and let him/her know about your concern. Sometimes, we start patients on medication if there is a concern about developing capsular contraction.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Los Angeles breast implant revision and capsular contracture

+1

We would recommend that you allow some time for the breast swelling to subside. Our office performs breast implant revision and we ask patients to allow time for swelling to go away before any further treatments are recommended.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and capsular contracture

+1

You are very early indeed following your last operation and it is normal to have swelling post-operatively. This will take many weeks to settle especially as you have had previous surgery.

Regarding capsular contracture, this usually takes some months to develop so I suspect it is not what you think.

I suggest you follow your surgeon's advice, wear a support bra and take things easy over the next few weeks

Goos luck!

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and capsular contracture

+1

Hi there,

It is too early to say whether your capsular contracture will return. It will take at least 6 weeks to form a capsule and longer to develop a contracture even if it is to occur.

Your left breast does not look obviously more swollen from the photo, although an examination would be required to tell more definitively. It is likely that it would be more swollen as you had more surgery on that side. This will almost certainly settle with time.

So at this stage I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Cheers

Richard Bloom

Plastic Surgeon

Melbourne Australia

Richard Bloom, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon