I Think my Cap Has a Crack in It, and I Don't Know What to Do?

When I was younger, I broke my two front teeth. One has a cap, one was just filled in. Its been fourteen years since I got the cap put on, but now it looks as though its cracked or something is wrong with it. There are two lines going through the cap that look like cracks, and they're both yellow-brown in color. What do I do?

Cracks in Porcelain Crowns

+1

In teeth, cracks are normal with aging and may not need treatment unless in a stress area like a back tooth cusp. In the front teeth many cracks do not get larger very rapidly. Now that is not the case in most porcelain crowns. with any crack in porcelain, it's just a matter of time before the porcelain comes apart and exposes the metal, zirconia or natural tooth under it. Time is not predictable on that happening so moving towards replacement is your best option when it is convenient rather than after it breaks and is a cosmetic emergency.

Suwanee Cosmetic Dentist

Fourteen Year Old Dental Cap May Have Fracture...What Do I Do?

+1

Go to your dentist and ask him/her if it's fractured.  He should be able to tell you the answer in just a few minutes.  If it is fractured you will probably experience part of the crown fracturing off in the near future. 

After fourteen years it may be time to replace the old crown anyway.  Today our ceramics looks much better and the porcelain materials we use are much stronger as well.  Currently, my favorite porcelain material for front teeth is EMax porcelain.  This is an amazing material, strong, long lasting, looks like a natural tooth, does not have any black line around the gums or incorporates any meta underneath.

Sincerely,

Dr. Norman Huefner

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Crack on my cap

+1

If your crown (cap) has metal underneath, margins are intact, and just porcelain on top of your cap has crack, your tooth should be safe but for cosmetic purpose you can redo your cap. Have consultation with your dentist to finalize your treatment.

Ali Makhmalbaf, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Cracked Crown

+1

Depending on the kind of material the crown is made, you may be in a very critical situation. Since it has been 14 years, the crown is most likely a porcelain fused to a metal underneath. It sounds like the porcelain is cracking through to the metal. The good news is that your tooth will still be protected. However, once the porcelain begins breaking off, you will have a dark tooth as your front tooth. It is best to see your dentist as soon as possible.

Ana Brightleaf, DMD
Santa Monica Cosmetic Dentist

Front Crown (Cap) Has a Hole in It. What to do?

+1

See your dentist! If there is a thru and thru crack in the cap, then it will have to be removed and remade. There is a danger that it will fall off or decay if not treated.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist