Will my Bumpy, Uneven, Droopy Columellar Scar Improve? (photo)

I am 16 days post-op. I had dorsal hump removed, nose shortened and droopy tip fixed. Now my hump sarted reappearing and my columellar "step"scar is all lumpy and bumpy and clearly visible from both the front and sides.Also my nostrils are different shape and size which were not before surgery. I realise that I am very early post op and that there`s a lot of swelling but i was prepared for all swelling and bruising. I didn`t however expect the scar to get worse with time and bump to start show

Uneven columellar scar

+2

It is too early to judge the final result of your rhinoplasty...swelling drifts downward with gravity as you are healing, so it is not unusual to have swelling in the columella that will improve with more time...it is unusual to have to revise a columellar scar, but if necessary, it could be done fairly easily...however, it is too early to consider this for you.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Will my bumpy, uneven, droopy columellar scar improve? (photo)

+1
Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  At 2 weeks postoperative, it is early to tell you about your scar, as the swelling will persist for several weeks.  Be patient with this and stay in contact with your physician for instructions.

Best wishes for a wonderful result, as it appears great already!
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Bold Columellar Scar After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Sochi,

Thank you for sharing well taken photos.

At 2 weeks post-surgery, I anticipate that your columellar scar will improve over time.

Final results of your surgery should be established at about 12 months post-op.

However, if your scar remains an issue after you are fully recovered then a simple correction can be made to fix it.

I encourage you to be patient and to make sure your nose is well protected against any possible trauma.

Good luck and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Web reference: http://www.DrSajjadian.com

Droopy

+1

Yes the open rhinoplasty columellar incision and resulting scar will improve significantly over time!

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon