Can my Bulbous nose be reduced?(photo att)

Hi, I live in Australia and Im am considering traveling to the states for my surgery, as it seems the experience in American surgeons is far greater. I would like my nose alot smaller at the tip and hopefully have the nostrel holes not so showy, are my expectations unrealistic and are there any surgeons on here that believe they could conduct satersfactory results? I am happy with my bridge and my profile. Any feed back would be highlly appreciated. Many Thanks in advance   Ash

Pictures of Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1

Ash,

As all my fellow surgeons have said it is extreme difficult to assess your surgical needs with just one picture. You may need lots of surgical manuvers to achieve your goals or it could be very simple. There are many good rhinoplasty surgeon in Australia, i would  visit with one of them first before jumping to the US  to get an honest surgical evaluation and then go from there.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Treating excessive columellar show and tip bulbosity

+1

As some of the others have mentioned it's hard to assess your tip using only a profile view. I can see that you have more columellar show than normal on profile view. This is what is allowing so much of your nostrils to be seen.

It is possible to improve your nostril show and tip bulbosity with rhinoplasty surgery. Additional photos and/or an in person exam would help give you a more detailed assessment.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Can my Bulbous nose be reduced?

+1

A photo, of the front of the nose would be required for a proper evaluation.  From the profile, your chin is weak and this could be balanced with a Chin Implant.  Often the nose appears larger than it truly is because the lower face is out of balance due to a recessed chin.  

The tip itself can be reduced using a closed Tip-plasty technique.  Whether it's in the US or Australia, be sure the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you choose understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.  

Treating a bulbous nasal tip during rhinoplasty

+1

A bulbous nasal tip can be refined without changing your nasal side profile.  Treatment should first begin with photos that you bring to the consultation of noses that you like amongst celebrities and models in magazines. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+1

I cannot understand why if you are happy with your profile but unhappy with a bulbous tip you would only post a photo of your profile. How can we be expected to voice an pinion on what is bothering you without being able to see it?

I am sure any American surgeon will welcome you with open arms but the skills and experience of Australian plastic surgeons should not to be disparaged. There are some very good plastic surgeons in Australia.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin augmentation

+1

From your profile picture, you will need to reduce the lower third of the dorsum in order to decrease the over projection of the lower third of your nose. You will also need a chin implant to improve the overall profile relationship. It will also improve your neck. Your tip needs to be addressed but not frontal view provided. The question is if you have thick skin or just enlarged cartilages? If both present, they need to be addressed.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large cartilages can cause a bulbous tip

+1

Ash,

When do you notice your bulbous tip the most?  Is it in the mirror or in some photos?  You've shown us a profile photo so I'm going to guess it's on profile that your tip bothers you. It appears your tip cartilages are prominent.  The good news is that you have medium thickness skin, great for rhinoplasty.  I think your nose could do very well with a conservative reduction of the nasal tip cartilages and produce a smooth profile and overall contour.

Good luck in your search for information!

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Refinement of the Bulbous Nasal Tip

+1

Thanks for the question and photo. A front view and base view (looking up at the nose from below) would certainly be helpful to assess your nose further.  From this profile view you have submitted, I agree that the amount of visible nostril is excessive and the entire tip looks a bit overprojected. Bringing the tip back closer to the face would help it blend in with the rest of your features. The nostril show can be reduced by placing small cartilage grafts (taken from your septum) just above the nostril on each side. These are called rim grafts.

There are also a number of techniques which can be utilized to refine the bulbous tip, depending on the anatomy and aesthetic desires of the individual patient. These may include conservative shaving of the tip cartilages, overlapping them to bring them closer to the face +/- rotate the tip, and reshaping them using sutures and/or cartilage grafts. Shaving the septum just above the tip of the nose may also be necessary. Depending on the techniques required, either an endonasal or open rhinoplasty approach may be appropriate. 

An important consideration when reducing the size of the nose is to ensure that the structural integrity and function (ability to breathe) are improved, or at the minimum, maintained. Careful consideration of both form and function is of the utmost importance in rhinoplasty.

I also find computer imaging to be a crucial part of the rhinoplasty consultation, to ensure that the patient has the opportunity to clearly communicate his or her aesthetic sense and the surgeon has a chance to illustrate the realistic changes which can be made. I spend a great deal of time with my patients on this "morphing" exercise during their consultations and use the images during surgery as a template. There is also a Virtual Rhinoplasty app on my website, which allows patients to begin this process at home. 

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip and wide nostrils.

+1

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip and wide nostrils can be done without altering your profile. Choose an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best result.

Tip surgery

+1

it is very difficult to evaluate your tip adequately from a single view photo.  Even still , you would need an in-office examination to properly evaluate you.