Why Does my Bridge Look So Flat and Wide from the Front? 3 Weeks Post Op- is It Swelling? (photo)

Why is my bridge flat and wider from the front? I had my bump removed, tip thinned, and my septum straightened. Did the doctor do something wrong or is it just swelling? I'm actually pretty scared because I don't want to have wasted my money on something that just made me more unhappy with my nose. My doctor and I agreed on leaving a small bump on the profile view and I'm happy with that but whats wrong with the front? I know swelling takes a long time to go down but this feels hard. What is it?

Results after Rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for your question. I think so far so good. It's really too early to tell the final results at this time. I think that in general all the areas look right. Be patient and continue with your surgeon's instructions.

Wide bridge three weeks after rhinoplasty

+2

Three weeks is way too early to judge your results.  Be patient and see what happens over the next 2- 4 months.  Things should settle nicely and if not revision may be indicated.  See your plastic surgeon regularly and have pictures taken at each visit so you can see the evolution of the contours over time.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Flat bridge after rhinoplasty

+2
As a hump is reduced the bridge can appear wider, think of taking the top off the letter 'A'. Surgeons control the width by infracture which your surgeon might have discussed during planning. Three weeks is too early to tell how things will sort out, but your surgeon should be able to give you insights.

Rhinoplasty surgery

+1

Dear afoxadox,

• The profile looks great, I think you will very happy
  • Just be patient with the frontal view, especially the tip, which can take 6 months for all of the swelling to resolve

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Nasal Bridge Looking Wide and Flat

+1

I think for this soon out from surgery, you look fine. The bridge can often times look like yours does due to residual swelling of the overlying soft tissue along the bridge. Hang in there and give it more time to heal. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Does my Bridge Look So Flat and Wide from the Front?

+1

Thanks for the question. While its true that its too early to comment on photos, specially when you did not post pre operative pictures but it seems that your nasal pyramid has not been narrowed after the removal of hump. This is called infracture to bring two nasal bones together specially over the dorsum of the nose. I do not see signs of infracture. This comment will be more applicable if your before the surgery images show the same width of the nasal pyramid. I think just stay in regular follow up with your PS who can give you most useful advice.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

+1

ONLY 3 weeks If at three months you are still wide than most likely it was not swelling. Best to allow much more healing time. Start massages to area. 

Too early to tell

+1

It is very difficult to tell how things will look only three weeks after surgery.  Any surgical planning you made with your surgeon, along with his/her exam of your nose at this point, should be a guide to help you understand how you are progressing.  Be patient and hopefully things will work out.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon