My Breasts Are Uneven-is It Possible to Have One Breast Reduced? (photo)

My breasts have been uneven since they started forming. My left breast is about a B +/-, and my right is an A. Oddly enough, I prefer the right side to the left as I have a smaller frame, and I'd like to avoid implants if possible due to my lifestyle. Is it possible to simply have a reduction on my larger breast rather than augmenting both?

+1

The photo you have submitted is opposite to your description and shows the left side being smaller.  However, yes of course a unilateral reduction can be carried out.  But you have to remember, and this is something I tell all of my patients in your situation, that you cannot expect to have perfectly symmetrical breasts, they will always be different.  As a matter of fact almost every woman is slightly asymmetrical anyway.  The role of the surgery would be to bring them as close to symmetry as possible.  Please make sure that you are under the care of an experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, who can show you examples of before and after photos of similar situations.

Unilateral reduction possible but not enough

+1

It is possible to reduce your larger breast to the same volume of your smaller breast.  However, I do not think that would be enough.  I recommend you undergo a simultaneous breast lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection.   

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

My Breasts Are Uneven-is It Possible to Have One Breast Reduced?

+1

Yes it is possible for a unilateral breast reduction/lifting operation. Best to seek a few IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city.. 

Unilateral breast reductions can be done for uneven breasts

+1

It is definitely possible to undergo reduction of the larger breast in order to improve your volume symmetry. In your case you have several options for reduction. A standard reduction with incisions and surgical removal of breast tissue is one option. Another option to consider is liposuction of the larger breast. Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Correcting Uneven Breasts with a Reduction

+1

Yes, reduction of the larger breast to the size of the smaller, as long as you are perfectly satisfied with the size of the smaller, is quite reasonable.  I would, however, suggest a mastopexy on the right side so that it will match the appearance of the left.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts

+1

Yes, you can just have the larger breast reduced to improve symmetry between the breasts.  The reduction of the larger breast will probably require removal of skin and some breast tissue with resulting scars.  One thing to understand that the breast symmetry will be better but not perfect.  There will still be some unevenness between the breasts.  All the best.  Thanks for the question.

Steven Svehlak, MD

Unilateral breast reduction is possible

+1

Breasts are like snowflakes, there are no two that are alike!   Even in the same individual.  Your one breast is quite a bit bigger than the other, your options are:

1. Make the smaller breast bigger
  2. Make the bigger breast smaller
  3. Make both breasts bigger, but one more than the other (implants)
  4. Make both breasts smaller, but one more than the other

If you are trying to avoid implants, I think you can do just a little liposuction on the larger breast and you will be fine and avoid the lollipop scar.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for different size breasts.

+1
A unilateral breast reduction is a great idea for you. This could be achieved with a lollipop type reduction i.e. a vertical scar superior pedicle reduction surgery. This is a relatively easy and reliable surgery. If you wanted both sides bigger in the future then having the larger one reduced first would make that easier and likely safer.

Michael Weinberg, MD

+1

Thank you for the question and picture. It is absolutely possible to reduce the larger breast in order to achieve more symmetry between the two.

It sounds like you may, at some point benefit from consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. In this regard, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. The surgeons will generally be well-versed in a  variety of procedures that may be indicated based on your examination and goals.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.