Why Are my Breasts Uneven After 5 Months Post OP from a Breast Augmentation?

I had my breast Augmentation at the end of August, I am now 5 months post OP and I have a significant difference in size and appearance. My Plastic Surgeons exact answers were "you got a phenomenal result and I don't have anything to worry about" but after really looking at the photos they took I am extremely disappointed and self conscious. Is there anything I can do to correct my appearance or do I need another procedure to fix my problem? My before and after pictures are attached. :(

Fixing breast asymmetry

+1

Your before photos show significant asymmetry with the left crease lower than the right and completely different shapes of the right and left breasts. I think it is unreasonable to expect complete symmetry after surgery by any surgeon given your preoperative condition. Given what you had I think your surgeon did a reasonable job and at least lowered the right breast crease without creating a double bubble. I think some minor surgery on the left nipple position will get you closer to what you want but you will never get exact symmetry. The best person to do that revision is your current surgeon.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Breast asymmetry

+1

I am sorry for your dissapointment in your result.  You are correct that your breasts are asymmetrical.  I think your left breast implant is slightly higher and the left nipple areolar complex is lower ( which it was pre-op).  In addition your right crease was higher.  I have no comment on your plastic surgeon's comments because I do not know the expectations he/she set and the asymmetries he/she explained to you that you would experience. First, I would wait a couple of more months to allow the implants to completely settle.   I believe you could gain better symmetry with a revision including lowering the left implant and performing a left peri-areolar lift to elevate the nipple-areolar complex.  Good luck. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Unhappy with breast augmentation 5 months post-op

+1

Sorry that you are unhappy with your result.  As women, we all have slight asymmetry between left and right breasts; you probably had some asymmetry pre-op as well as post-op.  Based on your photos, the left implant seems to be slightly higher than the right.  If you are unhappy with the asymmetry, you may consider early revision.  After five months, it is unlikely that the implants will further settle down.

Sugene Kim, MD

Implant issues

+1

It looks like the left one is a bit higher. I tmay be due to the early asymmetry prior to surgery. This can sometimes be fixed with a revision.

Breast augmentation revision

+1

It is a little tough to tell from the photos, but the left implant seems a bit higher than the right.  Not enough to be distraught about though as this can happen to any patient and to any surgeon.  There are many reasons for this also and not necessarily anybody's fault.  The result at 5 months is not likely to evolve for the better and unless a capsular contracture is evolving on the left pulling the implant up, a early revision might be in order.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry after augmentation

+1

Thank you for providing the photos of your before and after.  You have the appearance of uneveness because the breast implants sit at different heights.  Because the left implant is sitting higher, it makes the nipple appear lower.

Although this may improve a little more, at five months the amount of change you will see is not likely to be very significant.

The issue will need to be addressed with surgery, either by lowering the left implant or raising the right, or both.  Lowering the left is the easier to do and matches the better shaped right breast.

All of us who perform plastic surgery see these issues from time to time.  We try to create "perfect" results but realize that we are limited by the vageries of nature and human healing.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you refer to is visible in the pictures you provide. It is likely that your breasts symmetry can be improved upon with revisionary surgery. This will involve adjustment of the breast implant pockets;  for example, the left breast implant pocket can be worked on to allow for the left breast implant to settle further. This maneuver will “raise” the appearance of the left nipple/areola complex.

I would suggest calm communication with your plastic surgeon.

Breast implant postition and the appearance of the breasts

+1

every woman has asymmetries before and surgery .   the left implant appears to be higher. this will push the nipple position down.  this can happen even with the best surgery.   the scar and capsule can be release to allow the implant to drop..  there are usually some fees for this

Asymmetry after breast augmentation surgery

+1

Thank-you for the photos. They are very helpful. It does appear that you have some asymmetry before surgery, which is very common. There are very few women who have completely symmetric breasts. Sometimes, making  slightly asymmetric breasts larger can amplify the asymmetry, or make it 'appear' worse. I do feel that your left breast implant is positioned a bit higher than your right implant. If the position of the implant is brought down slightly, it may allow for the left nipple areola complex to be a bit higher and get you closer to be more symmetric. Perfect symmetry is sometimes an elusive goal, but I feel that you do have room for improvement with an implant position change on the left.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon