Age 18 and I don't think my breasts look normal: Are they Tuberous? (photo)

Hi I'm 18 years old and I've always felt that my breast just didn't look normal. My aereolas are usually completely flat and large, and I can never achieve cleavage. I was just wondering if my breasts are tubular or what? I have lost some weight but they were still like this before,

Tuberous breasts

+1

You definitely displays some features of a tuberous breast.  There is a wide gap between your breasts and the overall base of the breast is narrow.  There is some sagging as well as deficiency of breast tissue on the inner portion.  I agree that the areolas are also large for the overall breast.  There are options for correction which could include breast implants as well as some degree of breast lifting and areola reduction.  Regardless of the procedure, it is important to know that the gap between the breasts can only be narrowed slightly as the wide breast bone is something that cannot be changed surgically.  Sincerely, Dr. Mitchell Brown

Not tuberous in the classic sense

+1

but at 18 years old, you certainly could benefit from procedures to either lift you and augment you or both... but risks come with the procedure and you must be willing to accept that too.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tuberousbreasts?

+1

Your breasts are low set and sligthly apart from each other. Your areolas are wide and you have moderately constricted breast tissue. Your areolas could be reduced through periareolar (donut) incisions while the enveloping layer around your breasts could be released for even redistribution of your breast parenchyma. If you desire to have a larger breast  implants could be inserted in the same time.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Are my Breasts Tuberous?

+1

Your breasts have some elements of constriction, but they will respond nicely to augmentation and a breast lift.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tuberous Breasts?

+1

I am sorry to hear about your concerns about breast shape/position; this is very challenging for many patients at your age especially.  

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Regardless of the semantics ( your breasts do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breast), you may benefit from breast augmentation/lifting surgery at some point.

You will need to do your due diligence and learn about the pros/cons of breast surgery as well as the potential risk/complications associated with breast surgery. Make sure you understand about the scarring that results from breast surgery. In other words, achieving realistic expectations prior to proceeding will be important. 

Make sure, when the time is right, that you seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Of course, timing of surgery in relation to life circumstances will also be important.

Also, patients who present with tuberous breasts should understand that the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased in their cases compared to patients who do not have these anatomic “variations”.

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more about breast surgery.

Features of a tuberous breast

+1

The only real feature you have of a tuberous breast is a high and tight inframammary crease and an enlarged areola, otherwise this is just breast ptosis or sagging.  You are a candidate for a breast lift / augmentation

Tuberous breasts

+1

Thank you for your question and the photo.

Yes, it appears that your breasts are tuberous.  A breast lift or breast lift with implants is likely to give you significant improvement.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tuberous breasts

+1

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it does appear you have tuberous breasts.   In addition, to a breast augmentation procedure, you will need a lift and other  internal interventions (such as a radial release of the internal banding contributing to your current breast shape).   Please visit with a plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tuberous Breasts

+1

You do have tuberous breasts but it can be improved!  A breast lift with a scar just around your areola can make the areola smaller and in the center of your breast.  An implant can provide better fullness on top and a rounder looking breast.  I think these changes would give you an excellent result!  Good luck!

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Unfortunately, you do have tuberous breasts.  However, in the right hands, this is very correctable with a modified mastopexy and implants.  I have a woman on my website with a much worse deformity than yours and you can see how this can look after correction.  Be sure to go to a plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has extensive experience with tuberous breasts.  Your best chance of fixing this is with the first operation performed so choose your surgeon carefully.  I hope it goes well.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon