27 years old and considering a BA: Are my Breasts Tuberous? (photo)

Hello. I am 27 years old and have hated my breasts since I first started to develop. I've been thinking about a BA since I was 18. I just want fuller, symmetrical ones (minus the little bit of flab you can see beside the right breast in the picture). Are my breasts tuberous?. I hate taking my bra off when being intimate with my boyfriend. I just want to achieve a C cup look. Is it necessary to tell lots of people if I have the surgery?

Tuberous or not is irrelevant

+2

The goal of breast surgery is to make beautiful breasts.  Whether the breasts are tuberous or not is irrelevant.  You will need a breast augmentation and a mastopexy.  The mastopexy will elevate your breasts, move them medially, increase your cleavage and reduced the size of your areolas.  Implants are placed through this incision. Breast augmentation with Ultimate Lift was designed for patients just like you.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants alone do not correct tuberous breasts.

+2

Hi.

1)  You have a mild case of tuberous breasts and  you have some asymmetry.  The key step is releasing the tight breast tissue on the underside.  This is done from the inside, with a circular scar around the nipples, at the same time as the implants. You need more of a lift on the right.  Also your breasts are far apart.

2)  This is tricky surgery.  So get several consultations, and ask to see before and after pictures.  And you don't have to tell anybody.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tuberous Breasts?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes, I think your breasts do  demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts.

Some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally,  correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary.  In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.
In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern,  you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery. Surgery will likely involve breast augmentation and some degree of breast lifting.

When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant experience with this type of surgery.

It is not necessary to tell “lots of people” that you have had the surgery.

I hope you find the attached link helpful.

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, based upon your photos posted, it lookw like you have a tuberous breast deformity.  The base is very narrow. In general, these can be difficult to correct completely.  Often the base has to be expanded, and in some cases the herniated tissue throught the areola needs to be "pushed back in".  It is fairly common to require revision surgery.  Good luck.

Tuberous breasts

+1

Yes, the photo shows how tuberous breasts typically appear.  Surgery can make them appear normal by releasing the breast tissue that is causing them to appear constricted and placing implants behind them.  Surgery to correct this is a very personal decision that help many women who have similar breast deformities feel normal again.  Part of feeling normal is not having to tell anyone that you have had surgery.   If you haven't already done so, you should see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts

+1

It appears from your photo that you do have tuberous breasts.  There are a number of ways that your surgeon can or may wish to help you with your ideals.  One of the ways would be to do an augmentation and to then see if you need a donut mastopexy.  Others may wish to score the base of your breast to remove the constriction of the base of your breast.  Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon who is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Dan Mills, MD

Tuberous breasts

+1

It is difficult without examining you in person, but you do seem to have constricted breasts.  Be sure to carefully discuss the approach to your surgery with your surgeon.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Surgery for tuberous breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts often have a high,tight infrmammary fold (below the breast) and constricting fibrous bands inside that change breast shape.  This can be fixed with a breast lift.  You may also choose to have breast implants if you want to have a larger size.  This is a personal choice for yourself.  You should decide who you are comfortable sharing this information with and be the one who discloses it when and how you choose.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

You don't have to tell anyone about breast implants

+1

Yes, your breasts do have the characteriatics of a tuberous breast. You can have an augmentation, and may also have to have the skin envelope adjusted at the same time to improve the breast symmetry. Even if they 'know' you do not have to tell anybody about your breast surgery or implants. If your boyfriend is 'the one' at some point you will want to let him know you as you are, and if he is right it will be better for both of you.

Tuberous breasts

+1

Dear Heather your photo demonstrate tuberous breast . Patients with tuberous breasts often require a second surgery to optimize the result.

Jay M. Pensler, MD