My Breasts Scars - is This Normal After 40+ Days? (photo)

Hi, My breasts are almost healed, but the skin has strange color and some dried blood. Is such slow healing process normal and such dark sports? Is there anything I should do and when can I use the scars cream? Thanks!

My Breasts Scars - is This Normal After 40+ Days?

For the most part it appears your scars are healing fine.  I am unsure if you have a few scabs left or some other debris in the area.  Protect the surgery sites and follow your surgeon's instructions for your best possible outcomes.

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Breast scars?

Hello! Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Crusts or scabs on breast lift scars not a concern

Thank you for your question and photographs. The small dark areas of crust are simply debris from your healing and are not a matter of concern. The underlying scars are pink and somewhat wide and could likely benefit from laser treatments with the 1540 fractional erbium non-ablative laser.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Breast reduction

There are other issues in your photo besides scars. You do not say what surgery you had but I suspect it was a breast reduction with a vertical skin closure only. I suspect you will eventually need conversion to an anchor pattern but 40 days is too soon after surgery to say much about the result.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

120 South Spalding
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Healing breast scars

There is definitely some crusting perhaps from irritation of the tape or some mild delayed healing, but this looks relatively normal.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Star gazing nipples after breast lift?

The healing you are experiencing is a little slow but not too bad.  What concerns me, and may just be an artifact of your photo, is that your nipples are too high and point to the ceiling.  This is called "star gazing" and is hard to correct if indeed it is present.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Breast Scars after 40+ Days Normal?

From your pictures, the healing process does not look abnormal. It takes 6 to 12 months for thing to improve. Ask your surgeon about using a scar improvement product (silicone gel sheets).

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Normal breast healing

It looks to me that you are experiencing normal healing. It is very common to have a few little scabs along the incisions. These will fall off on there own, and it is safe at this point to use a soft wash cloth in the shower to help clean things off. Some of that stuff will stick several weeks even if it is healed underneath. There is not much you can do to hurt it at this point. The scars will continue to improve for a year. Good luck

John Alexander II, MD

9339 Genesee Ave
San Diego, CA 92121

Scars after Breast Lifting?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

What you are experiencing is quite normal after breast lift surgery.  Obviously, things will look much better in a few months and the scar will continue to mature/fade for years after surgery. Check with your plastic surgeon what he/she prefers for  incision management;  I personally recommend the use of silicone-based cream or sheeting.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942