What Can I Do That Would Make my Breasts Look As Normal As Possible? (photo)

So, im 17 and I've absolutely hated my breasts since ive had them. Im a 36 DDD and i know that at that point my breasts are going to sag and thats fine. But im really not okay with the fact that my areola's are so large and two VERY different sizes. Im a performer so i need something thats going to fix this issue that can be done and would heal pretty quickly. Im not interested in an implant or a reduction so im hoping there is other options. Hope to have some input, thank you.

BREAST SURGERY

+1

I think you would be a great candidate for a classic wise pattern breast reduction which gives anchor scars, this surgery could reduce your areolas and take the weight off your breasts at the same time

Suction Breast Reduction May Answer All Your Problems

+1

Dear Isabella,

From the message you sent to RealSelf, I have to make certain assumptions.

I believe when you said you don't want a reduction, you mean you don't care to have the scars from a reduction.  You also said you don't mind if your breasts sag.  Your biggest complaint is the large size of your areola and their asymmetry. 

I would recommend a suction breast reduction.  It requires a 5mm incision and has a very quick recovery.  The reason your areola is large is due to the large volume of your breasts.  When the volume is reduced, the areola will consequently reduce in size.  Your right breast is bigger and lower and your right areola is bigger.  Taking out more tissue from your right breast than your left should balance your breasts, and theoretically should balance your areola. 

Suction breast reduction is similar to liposuction, however your are not just removing fat, you are also removing gland.  This fact was demonstrated excellently in a paper by Gary Rosenberg, M.D. of Del Rey Beach, Florida.  Your breast tissue will shrink, your fat will shrink, the breast always shrink upward, the areola will of course shrink, and the results should give you everything you wish for.  

I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and a member of the Aesthetic Society experienced in suction breast reduction.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Areola

+1

The only way to reduce the size of the areola is with skin excision. The breast will also need to be reduced with this procedure to close the defect

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Make my Breasts Look As Normal As Possible

+1

Your options include an areolar reduction or a breast lift, which would include an areolar reduction as part of the procedure. Your breasts otherwise seem quite even, and that simplifies the procedure considerably. A consultation with a surgeon should help explain your options.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Reducing the large areola

+1

Redusing a large areola is possible. Often a donut of areola is removed and the surrounding skin is closed around the smaller areola with a permanent suture to minimize spreading.  An exam in person is essential to be properly evaluated.

Correction of large or asymmetric areola

+1

Hi. It is relatively easy to reduce/symmetrise size of areola by removing the outer portions of the areola as a relatively minor procedure. It works very well with slightly droopy breasts, or when it is done during breast reduction surgery/breast uplift. As you wish to maintain the volume of the breasts, there may be some stretching of the scars as the skin is going to be quite tight after reducing the size of the areola. However, on balance, it is still likely to provide what you are looking for.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction to Help Improve Symmetry Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hello Isabella,

As a woman and board certified plastic surgeon, I can appreciate the frustration you feel with the difference in areolar size/shape between the areola of your two breasts.  

The good news is that:

1.  breasts appear relatively symmetric in size and shape.  

2.  there is a small difference between your areolae but not a huge difference and your nipple position is fairly even

Areola reduction surgery can be performed to make your areolae smaller in diameter.  This will leave a permanent scar around your areolae and there is no guarantee that this will remain a thin scar or leave you with a perfectly shaped areola on each side.  Often times, the weight of the breast will encourage the scar to widen.  

Take your time in making this decision and weigh out the risks and benefits of doing something like this now (your young age).   Because when you are older  a more comprehensive procedure will better address all of the issues and at that time, the scars may be easier to accept.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Best Option for Large/Asymmetric Areola?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Given that you state that your main concern is the areola size/asymmetry, you may benefit from areola reduction surgery. While you are researching this procedure, make sure you understand the potential risk/complications associated with the procedure.  These risks including the potential abnormal scarring and/or spreading of the areola may be of significance to depending on what kind of “performing” you do.

At some point, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for more precise advice.

Consider purse-string areolaplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  Depending on the position of your breast folds, quality of your breast tissue, and your goals you may explore a purse-string areolasplasty and liposuction of the breasts for volume symmetry.  Its not an often explored combination but this may give you better size summetry, smaller areolas, and better positions areolas all with just a circular incision around your areola.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Lift and Areolar Reduction

+1

If you are happy with the size of your breasts, then a breast lift would be appropriate.  The breast lift can also address the large areolae by making them smaller.  The types of lifts are manifold, and you should discuss with the surgeon of your choosing the types and scar patterns and the benefits of each.