Can my Breasts Be Lifted with Just an Implant? (photo)

I am approx a 36 B. I have always hated my breasts. I have large areolas and small breasts. I would like to breast feed with children but don't want to wait much longer to get the implants. I would like them while I am still young. Because of the desire to breast feed I would like to aviod any cutting around the nipple which would not allow a breast lift but I was wondering if implant alone would be able to give me size C/D with some lift. I don't mind a little sagging if it means i can BF later.

Breast Enhancement

+1
I think you have a challenging case to get you to your desired goals. I would suggest an augmentation to start and a plan for a lift in the future if you were unhappy 

Augmentation in marginally ptotic breasts

+1

can be done and it is your expectations that will determine whether a mastopexy or breast lift will be needed.  If you are satisfied with just larger breasts with nipples that still point downwards, an augmentation alone will be adequate.  If you desire perky, youthful breasts, a lift is needed and with it comes the additional costs and scars.  I would consider you to be in the grey zone and you can decide on what will work best for you after you have your consultation(s). 

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lifts and implants

+1

As many of the responses here indicate, breast implants do not lift the breast in the usual sense of that word. Implants are a pillow that fills out the breast from behind and makes it look bigger. If the lower pole of the breast is filled out with this pillow it gives the illusion that the breast and the nipple-areola are lifted from the front. 

It is not possible to tell from the pictures where the inframammary crease is in relation to the nipple but it may be possible to fill out the lower pole with an implant and give the lift effect with the minimum size increase of one cup size (lowest profile implant). This might be a temporary solution to the problem and avoid the periareolar scar until a lift is the only option. I would strongly advise against high profile implants and above the muscle positioning. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants

+1

You can certainly have just implants inserted now.  even though your breasts are somewhat saggy, it sound like you are willing to accept it even if it requires more surgery later,after you have children.   It sounds like you feel that Implants alone will provide some lift to the breasts, and many plastic surgeons will tell you this.  However, I do not think they provide any lift at all; that's just my opinion.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Implants Without A Lift Will Give You The Snoopy Nose Deformity

+1

You have several elements of the tuberous breasts.  You have a tight, fixed fold at the bottom of your breast, and if you put an implant under your existing breast, your breast will hang off the implant very much like Snoopy's nose in the Peanuts cartoon.  If you don't like your breasts now, you will hate them after just a straight augmentation.

If you do a standard Benelli or circumareolar reduction, it will decrease the size of your areolar and give you a lift simultaneously.   You can stay away from any of the breast ducts, therefore not interfering with any future nursing.  I would do this first, and then 6 months after this heals, there becomes a number of ways to do a breast augmentation.  However, if you do a breast augmentation at this time, you will be incredibly dissatisfied and you will feel very, very deformed. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Is An Implant Enough?

+1

Thank you for the question and the pictures. While looking at pictures is never as good as in-person exam, it does appear that you may not be able to get a decent result by augmentation alone. Your expectations are realistic, as your are willing to accept some post operative sagging to try to maintain your ability to breast feed. However, you do have quite a bit of sagging which leads me to believe that the amount of drooping that will remain after your surgery may be more than you would truly be willing to accept.

It is important that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and communicate your goals with them. During your consultation with the benefit of an examination, your surgeon will discuss the procedure and the involved risks with you. I hope this helps.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Cosmetic Breast Surgery options

+1

Thank you for including your photos.  Based on your appearance and desires you have multiple options to choose from to enhance your breast shape and size:

1. Implant alone - I would recommend a silicone implant on top of the muscle, you might benefit from a high profile style.
  2. Lift alone - a lollipop scar to lift the breast
  3. Lift + Implant- either a lollipop or circumareolar scar + an implant at the same time
  4. Lift than an implant - 2 operations, lifting first for shape and then enhancing with an implant under the muscle (either saline or silicone)

You will need an extensive consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in breast surgery which should include photographs, measurements, before and after pictures and a thorough explanation of all the risks and complications associated with each procedure.  The final decision will be based on a mutual understanding between you and your surgeon.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implants don't lift breasts, they "fill" what's there, which MAY tighten and simulate less droop.

+1

Augmentation via periareolar incisions will unavoidably cut some of the breast ducts, divide glandular tissue, and thereby reduce the ability to later breast feed. Augmentation via crease incision will spare the ducts and breast tissue, but about 50% of women have difficulty breast feeding whether they have implants or not, so you must consider this as well.

As others have stated, with your photographic anatomy, augmentation alone without lift has a lower likelihood of yielding a satisfactory aesthetic result, but certainly can be "tried" first, adding a lift operation later if necessary or desirable. Even with breast lift incisions around your areolas (and irrespective of the remainder of incisions chosen, whether vertical--lollipop, only periareolar, or full "anchor" or Wise pattern), the ducts are spared along with any innate ability to breast feed, since only skin is cut and removed.

See several ABPS-certified plastic surgeons with lots of breast experience for a personal examination and frank discussion of the options. Then you can decide what is best for you! For several examples of my augmentation patients with differing degrees of ptosis (droop) undergoing (submuscular) augmentation alone, click on the web reference link below and look at cases 5,6,11,24,27, and 31. Then look at the breast lift plus implants patients. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Will breast implants alone lift my breasts?

+1

Your photos do not allow for a definitive recommendation regarding the need or no-need for breast lifting in addition to breast augmentation. But given your particular concerns and the suggestion that implants alone may provide some indirect lifting, even if not maximal, then you may be a candidate for just breast augmentation. But again the ultimate decision can only be made at time of examination. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Breast lift

+1

From your photos I would not think augmentation alone will give you a satisfactory result.  I would recommend an augmentation mastopexy using a vertical technique to minimize the scar

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon