Do my breasts need a lift? Does it change the feel of the breast, if lifted?

Candidates for breast lift

+1

Based on your photo I would not recommend a breast lift. The purpose of a breast lift is to elevate the nipple position and remove excess skin. I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation and exam.Best wishes

Needing a lift and changing the feel

+1

I agree with the other responses that "need" is the wrong word to use or think about the issue of a breast lift. The question is whether you would benefit from a lift and at what cost or tradeoff. It is not possible to really judge from the picture but it doesn't appear that a lift would give you much benefit. It certainly won't change or improve the feel. Breast implants do not really change the feel of a breast either. They are like a pillow behind the breast. It may improve the appearance and the apparent feel but not actually change it. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Plese send better picture and place the camera at the level of the nipple

+1

The angle of the camera is low and does not show the full view of the breast. Please send picture and more information about your breast(previous implants and your size). I would not recommend lift based on this limited view.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

+1

Hello Natkerr,

Unfortunately, the photograph you provided is not helpful in assessing the appearance of your breast, except that it is full and there is some ptosis hanging over the fold.  Additionally, you have not expressed your goals in terms of what you'd like to see, which makes it difficult to answer you question.

I think that you would benefit from a consultation with a few surgeons that have an excellent reputation with breast surgery.  These surgeons would be of course certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and members of the American Society for Plastic Surgery. This would be the best way to determine if a procedure would be appropriate for you and your goals.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The need for a breast lift

+1

From the photo you submitted, it is difficult to know if you might need a breast lift. Your breast is quite full, and a lift ususally is about nipple position, to keep the nipple up front and centered on the breast. A breast lift will give the breast more firmness and support and therefore does change the way the breast feels. Need is relative, and currently your 'look' is pretty good.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Do I need a breast lift

+1

From your picture, it is difficult to determine the need for a breast lift.  A closer frontal picture on the same plane as the breast and a side view would be helpful.  From the picture presented, I don't know if you will see a noticeable change with a breast lift.  If your concern is lack of fullness in the upper breast and you are willing to increase your size, an augmentation may be the better option.

Donald Griffin, MD

Do I need a breast lift?

+1

When we are considering cosmetic or elective surgery, it is true that nobody "needs" it.  However, surgery such as breast lifts and breast augmentation often benefit patients in that it improves their quality of life and confidence.   Nothing substitutes for a in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.  From your photo, it appears like you may have breast/nipple asymmetry (hard to tell), which can be improved with surgery if it bothers you.   It is hard to tell unless you are standing with your shoulders square and can submit more photos (from the side) as well.  Breast implants will increase the size of your breasts and create more fullness at the top part of your breasts, and a breast lift can raise the nipples, create more symmetry, and remove excess or loose skin.   The feel of your breasts (touching them - not your breast sensation) will change the least with a breast lift, since no implant is placed and once the swelling is gone your breast tissue and skin remains the same. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Needing a breast lift

+1

I tell all of my patients who ask me if they 'need' plastic surgery, that 'need' is a strong term. It sounds as if you are interested in breast surgery, perhaps having perkier breasts. Based on your picture, a breast lift could give you a better overall shape to your breasts. A periareolar lift might be all that is required to meet this goal. Any time you operate on the breast, whether it is for augmentation or breast lifting, you run the risk of disturbing sensation to the breast and/or nipple areola complex. So, if nipple sensation is the key to your happiness, breast surgery may not be for you. Fortunately, altered sensation often times is only temporary.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Tough to tell

+1

As you may know, the decision of whether you need a lift is made based on the position of your nipple. With the photo you sent being taken from a lower position, this is hard to tell. Its also hard to tell if your nipples are asymmetric in height or if your right shoulder is lower. Better photos would be helpful.

As to the way your breasts feel after a lift. Most patients say their breasts feel firmer to some degree. Obviously, right after your surgery they will feel very firm from the trauma of the surgery. As this resolves, the breasts will feel softer but, not as soft as they likely feel now. You may also feel some small knots under the skin postop. These are typically not painful but may be areas where the breast fat is traumatized. These knots may resolve over time or may be permanent.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Candidate?

+1

It is hard to tell by the picture you have submitted what type of surgery you may benefit from. It would be helpful if you were able to submit a closer frontal and side photograph.  The side view will allow for assessment of the position of the nipple/areola in relation to the inframammary fold;  this relationship is very important in determining whether a patient would benefit from breast lifting surgery.

From the picture you have enclosed however,  I think you may be a candidate for breast augmentation alone if your goal is to increase your breast size/ superior pole fullness.

If you undergo a breast lift only it will not necessarily change the “feel” of your breasts. With implants however the feel of the breasts will change depending on whether saline or silicone breast implants are used and the amount of soft tissue coverage that is present on top of the breast implants.

In-person consultation at some point, you may benefit from with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.