What can be done to make my breasts closer together and my nipples appear more symmetrical? (photo)

I am 5 weeks post op. I'm 5'3" 105 lbs. I feel like my breasts are very separated, and it doesn't seem like my surgeon is interested in correcting this. I also feel like my nipples are not even and like the boobs are two different shapes. I hoped to achieve a look with more fullness towards the bottom. How can I achieve the look I was hoping for? And is it too soon? Will my breasts distance and the nipples change?

How to get implants closer together

+1
There are several aspects to your question: first, implant profile. High profile implants have a narrower base diameter, so that they don't appear as close together unless they are offset toward the middle in which case the nipples would look too far apart. Second, the muscle attaches along the breastbone (sternum) so it actually pushes the implants apart. Releasing the muscle to allow them to move closer causes symmastia. Over the muscle and they might have ripples. Often the best compromise is to select implants of the optimal diameter, then use an internal bra with Seri scaffold mesh or Strattice to hold them up and in. Nipple position is a matter of pre-existing anatomy more than implant placement.

Inter-mammary distance

+1
It is too early to tell if this result is final, but I would encourage massaging your implants together. If you do not like that final result, wider basewidth implants might help.

Frederick G. Weniger, MD, FACS
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Latal implant displacement

+1

I agree the more medial release of the pectoralis major muscle is needed to place the implants more centrally on the chest.  The width of the implants may need to be assessed to ensure appropriate width for your chest wall as well. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

What can be done to make my breasts closer together and my nipples appear more symmetrical?

+1

Sorry to say only an attempted re operation to release more of the medial muscle could maybe help. Best to seek IN PERSON second opinions..

Breast

+1

In my opinion, I suggest for you to wait until your breast settle completely. I suggest a moderate profile implant and that way get them a little closer together, how ever it might not give you the result you're looking for because of your muscles being already designed that way.

Good luck

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts following augmentation

+1
Your question is a good one and unforutnately, a very common occurrence. It is not an easy problem to fix and believe it or not, your result has much to do with your pre-operative anatomy. Your result is a predictable one when you perform breast augmentation with implant placement to fit the breast. You likely had wide cleavage and subtle nipple asymmetry preoperatively (EVERYONE has asymmetry, some more obvious than others), but it's now far more pronounced as your breasts are larger and any pre-existing asymmetry is now exaggerated. The only "fix" is to perform a revision augmentation and place the breasts to fit the implants. This can be accomplished, but not without incisions (and ultimately scars) placed in more visible positions, like around the nipple. Again, it's a trade off.....a better breast aesthetic for slightly more visible scars in the nude vs. a less desirable breast aesthetic with imperceptible scars. The decision is ultimately yours to make. Wait at least 6 months to allow tissue swelling and edema to completely resolve. Find a Plastic Surgeon Board Certifed by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and explain your aesthetic desires. You'll be able to find what you're looking for. Good luck!

Jonathan R. Fugo, DO
Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Correcting widely separated breast augmentation to a closer symmetrical natural result with Subfascial Augmentation

+1
Dear Unsurepatient,

Unfortunately your results are very typical breast augmentation results for a dual-plane augmentation with high profile implants.  The dissected pectoralis major muscle tends to create this splayed apart appearance and it tends to get worse with time.  Most women who undergo this procedure indeed have separated very "augmented" looking breasts.  I personally find it unacceptable and for this reason have never performed a dual-plane breast augmentation nor have I ever used high profile implants in my private practice.

I prefer a natural appearance without stigmata of surgery or the augmented look.  This is why I use a technique called the "Cold-Subfascial Breast AugmentationR"  THis technique leaves the pectoralis major muscle in its natural position and relies on the strong natural tissue above the muscle called fascia to provide shaping and support.  The subfascial plane allows more complete control of the shape of the breast and alows a natural start near midline that is not separated and drapes beautifully like a natural breast.  I also prefer to use more natural appearing anatomically shaped highly cohesive gel "gummy bear" implants which fit a more natural aesthetic.  I have had great success converting patients from dual plane to supported subfascial and think that the subfascial plane with lower profle wider implants, preferably anatomically shaped is the way to go for you.  I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Options to improve breast augmentation appearance​

+1

It is a little early to make any recommendations as they will still change and drop some in the next few months. It appears that you have sub muscular implants which is appropriate in a slim individual like yourself. However sub muscular implants will sit further apart than sub glandular implants. I would recommend waiting 4-5 months to all ow the implants to completely settle before considering further options. Depending on how they settle a small adjustment in implant position may or may not be necessary for them to appear more even. In order to obtain more cleavage, you may consider fat transfer to this area as a secondary procedure. This is a procedure know as composite breast augmentation. Changing to over the muscle will also place them closer together, but there are some disadvantages such as increased risk of capsular contracture or hardening.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD