Are my Breast Too Low 3 Weeks Post Op? (photo)

Im 3 weeks post op. I have mentor high profile smooth silicone implants placed under the muscle. Last night when I was massaging I noticed when I pushed down the implant was bulging under the crease incision. I am very concerned they are going to bottom out, they are very bottom heavy now and my nipples are basically back to where they were pre op... Should I expect my nipples to get any higher? Should I start wearing underwire bras already? My breasts are very soft and move around quite well

Breast implants too low at 3 weeks post-op?

+3

First of all, you sound as if your result is coming along nicely, and your photographs confirm this. Thanks for including them--they are really helpful!

I would absolutely defer recommendations to your surgeon, particularly as it is he or she you will ask to "fix" and concern if things don't end up long-term where you want them to be!

I will tell you that I do NOT ask my patients to move their implants in a downward direction. I just have my patients move their implants up under the muscle to keep the surgically-created pockets open, wear an elastic bandeau at night (not too tight, but enough to keep the implants from "slipping" into the armpit and to provide some gentle downward pressure that gravity provides during the day), and go braless during the day. I have them do this until I determine that their position is just slightly higher than "ideal," since I know that most patients will continue to drop a bit more over the 6-12 months until their scars are completely soft and mature. Once they are at that "almost perfect" position, I have them discontinue the night-time bandeau and ask my patients to wear a supportive bra day and night. Underwire is OK after 3 weeks, and I tell them to not have the band too tight so as to push the implants to the middle too aggressively, which might cause a symmastia and "close off" the pocket laterally.

Your nipples will NOT move higher--your implants DROP, making the nipple position atop the breast mound more centrally located. If the implants drop too low (bottoming out), then your nipples are still in the same position but now look artificially "high" compared to a lower breast mound. This is why we continually say that implants (even large ones) do NOT lift breasts; they FILL loose skin and drop behind and within the patient's skin brassiere.

If you were my patient I would suggest that you stop the downward massage (implant movement exercises), wear a supportive (not compressive) bra full time, and keep moving the implants upward in the pockets to keep them (the pockets) open and the breasts soft with moveable implants! After 3 weeks an underwire bra is usually OK, but if it irritates your incisions a softer bra advised.

But back to the original recommendation: ask and follow your own surgeon's advice! Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+2

A before photo would help. but the result photo looks very acceptable. At 3 weeks a bit early to be this concerned. Allow total 3 months of healing. 

Are my breasts too low after three weeks following a brast augmentation?

+2

Your photographs reveal a good result and appear to be in line with your postop timing.Make sure you follow up with your surgeon!

George Lefkovits, MD

Implant Position

+2

Your breast shape seems very acceptable and it sounds like your implants are staying soft.  I am also not a big fan of massaging the implants in a downward direction.  I doubt that you will bottom out more over time.  Your nipple position is adequate and has more to do with your breast shape preoperatively than with the implant dropping.  You should discuss the timing of  wearing underwire bras wtih your surgeon. 

Donald Griffin, MD

Breast Augmentation - Are my Breast Too Low 3 Weeks Post Op?

+2

Actually, I think you look just about right at 3 weeks.  It's hard to make an absolute assessment via the photos alone, but based on what you say and the photos you've submitted I think you're on target to get the result you're looking for.  So congrats!

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breasts Too Low 3 Weeks Post Op?

+2

Your breasts look about right based on the information provided. I suspect the implants will still drop a bit. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast implants

+2

At three weeks, you are probably exactly where you shoudl be at this point. The implants look a bit high still but in time they most likely will drop some more.

Are my Breast Too Low 3 Weeks Post Op?

+2

It is obvious the picture on the left is the Before and the one on the right is the After. In my opinion, your implants are NOT"bottoming out", if anything they are still a tad high. If you critically look at the picture on the right, you demonstrate a bit of bulging of the top half of the breast (or as we call it in Plastic Surgery talk "Upper Pole Fullness"). Ideally, your nipple complex should be exactly on the highest point of the implant behind it.

Nonetheless, it is obvious the implants raised your pre-operatively slightly down looking nipples and that with GENTLE massage and gravity the implants will come down farther allowing the nipples to be centrally located in relation to the implants.

I would consult with your surgeon as he obviously did well in your case. Personally, I would not wear a constricting bra until the implants are positioned where I want them.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Breasts too low?

+2

Your look fine at this point based on the photos. Your nipples are not too low and the breasts look like they are filled out well. Make sure you return to your surgeon for specific massaging instruction. Your off to a great start.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast Augmentation Results?

+2

Tank you for the question and pictures.

You look good for this stage in your recovery. If you have concerns regarding implant positioning and/or questions regarding use of specific bras  you should follow up with your plastic surgeon.