My Breast Saline Implants Are Too Large for my Taste. What Are my Options?

I am only a few weeks post op but my surgeon has said they will not get smaller, only drop and likely get bigger. Is there any hope they will look more natural with time or should I get them removed? I did not want anything that looked "obvious" and I'm afraid that my b cup is much closer to a d cup, it looks very unnatural on my frame. Please advise! Thank you.

Options if breast implants are too large...

+1

If you are unhappy with the size of your implants you can certainly change that.  The procedure needed would be an ex-plant re-implant surgery and you don't have to wait too long before doing the procedure if you want it (usually 3-6 months).  The surgeon will remove your current implant and replace it with the desired size of your choice.  Keep in mind there will be swelling and the size/shape may vary for the first few weeks. Make sure to consult with your Plastic Surgeon to clarify the healing process is over and your breasts are true to shape before making any surgery decisions.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Too big - early post op

+1

I'd recommend giving it a little more time.  It really takes several months for the tissue to relax, and for the implants to "settle in".  This will probably help them look more natural.  It's not uncommon for patients to feel this way initially, and then, if you ask them how they feel about their size a few months later, they say that they feel good about their choice, and that the implants aren't too big at all.  So, sometimes, it just takes some time...

However, if they still seem really large to you after 3-6 months, you and your surgeon can discuss changing the implants to a smaller size.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast size

+1

It is too soon after surgery to make that decision as you do not know how much of what you are seeing is swelling and how much is actually implant. Also without know what you looked like before surgery, how big your implants are in cc and what you look like now it really is impossible to give you an answer.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

My breast implants appear too large a fe weeks after augmentation. What do I do?

+1

Breasts may appear somewhat larger than desired and unnatural a few eeks after surgery. The size and shape will change in the course of 3- 6 months, usually in favor of the patient. That is the reason for needing follow-up with your plastic surgeon to make sure that healing is going well and that swelling is coming down appropriately. If there is a need to change the implant size, your surgeon would best be the one to offer you advice and to perform the replacement.

George Lefkovits, MD

Implant size may be wrong

+1

this is very early after surgery,  the size, shape and position will change over the next 3 months .

you  can wear a minimizer if you need for now.

Feels that is too large a few weeks after breast enlargement

+1

Sometimes it takes several months to incorporate the new enlargement into your overall evaluation of self. In addition, it can take a few months for most of the swelling to abate. Therefore, give it a few months and if you still don't like the result, you can then exchange your implants for a smaller ones. 

If you ultimately elect to go smaller, you may want to choose silicone ones as these will look and feel and lot more natural.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

What to Do when my Breast Implants are Too Big?

+1

The best way to treat a problem is to avoid it altogether. At 4-6 weeks after a breast augmentation much of the swelling is gone and there will not be a further dramatic decrease in the size of the breasts. A lot of the "buyer's remorse" who think a reasonably chosen breast implant is "too large" is often due to suddenly having to adjust to a larger part of their bodies. It would be best to wait a few months before revising such results to make sure. 

Do not even consider a revision for several months.

+1

I am sorry you feel too large.  I read what your plastic surgeon said, but I think as the implants fall they may at least at the minimum look more natural.  You need to wait at least three to four months before considering a revision.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Implants too large?

+1

At a few weeks out after surgery, the implants will look bigger and less natural then they will in 4-6months. I would not rush to have them changed just yet.

Implants are too large

+1

Hi, I am sorry that your implants seem to be too large for your frame.  It does take about three months for the implants to settle down and look natural.  However, they will not get much smaller.  Depending on how much smaller you want, you may want to consider revision surgery.  Talk with your plastic surgeon. She/He may be able to remove some saline out to decrease the size or may need to exchange the implants to lower profile implants.

Sugene Kim, MD