I Had my Breast Reduction 4 Months Ago and my Left Breast is Very Hard?

I had a breast reduction 4 months ago on Jan 27,2013 and my left breast still feels very hard. It feels like there is a baseball in there. Is this normal? And when will it go down and get soft? Should I be worried?

4 months after breast reduction and firmness

+2

Firmness after a breast reduction at 4 months is most likely fat necrosis. Best to be seen by your surgeon.

A hard breast four months after reduction may be a sign of fat necrosis.

+2

Rarely, a significant amount of breast tissue can be devascularized leading to cell death. The dead fat attracts calcium from the blood that creates a hard area. This may or may not be the problem but certainly involves investigation by the plastic surgeon.

Firm breast after a breast reduction

+2

You should return to your plastic surgeon.  This is possibly fat necrosis or an unresolved seroma.  In any event you need to be rechecked.  

Hardness after breast reduction

+2

You should return to your plastic surgeon for followup.  The differential would include seroma, hematoma, unusual scar tissue buildup or an unrelated breast tumor.  This should be worked up.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Fat Necrosis after Breast Reduction?

+1

Your description is quite consistent with the presence of fat necrosis;  these areas often go on to decrease in size slowly over the course of many months/year. Sometimes, surgeons recommend excision. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource.

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.