My Breast Reduction Included Auxilla Tuck but the Scars Under the Arm Are Thick & Ropey?

I had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago which included auxilla tuck under both arms. My breast are amazingly beautiful even now but the scars underneath my arms are thick & rope like. Will the underarm scars get better? What can I do to improve the appearance of these awful scars which are very uncomfortable? Will I ever be able to wear something sleeveless again?

Compression can help flatten breast reduction scars.

+1

Hi.

1)  It is very early and your scars may eventually be just fine.

2)  Compression on the scars for five minutes twice a day can help flatten the scars because fresh scars can be molded.

3)  Applying a scar product such as Biocorneum often helps.

Discuss Scar Concerns With Your Surgeon

+1
Silicone sheeting will help to modulate the axilla scars.  You may also benefit from steroid injections. Early intervention is beneficial so I would recommend you consult with your surgeon at your earliest convenience.  Good luck!

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Scars after Breast Reduction and Axillary Tissue Removal

+1

The scars in the axilla will continue to improve.  The scars will soften over the next few months.  Optimal scar contours and color are frequently achieved a year or more after surgery.  Your surgeon may have recommendations for topical scar treatment, but there is no standardization here.

Scar management

+1

Scarring is as individual to you as your fingerprint.  At 3 weeks you are still in the early stage of wound healing.  Massage can be very beneficial as well as using a product such as ScarGuard at  night.   It your scars are still raised at 3 months then you may be actually developing keloid scars.  Your plastic surgeon can help point you in the right direction as far as scar management.  

Breast reduction and scars

+1

Scars at three weeks after breast reduction can be somewhat firm.  Speak to your surgeon about his preferred treatment for the scars.

Arm pit lift scars

+1

The axilla tends to form rope like scars for quite some time, but they also tend to settle down nicely.  Ask your doctor about scar creams or silicone gel or sheeting.  If these less invasive things don't work, steroid shots may be needed.  Also ask about compression garments.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Hypertrophic Scar Treatment

+1

It's difficult to give specific advice without seeing your scars. However, it sounds like you have hypertrophic scarring.

I would recommend that you see your plastic surgeon. There are things that can be done to treat hypertrophic scars. The most likely treatment for you would be to have an injection with a steroid to soften the scar and make it less raised.

Definitely talk to your doctor and discuss the full range of treatments available for hypertrophic scarring.

Hope this helps!

David Cangello, MD

Concerns about Scars after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

At this point, 3 weeks out of your surgery, it is much too early to evaluate the nature of the scarring you will have long-term. In other words, it is not unusual for scars to be  thick and/or elevated at this point.  Most patients find that the  scars will continue to improve over the course of the first year or two.   Occasionally, scar revisionary surgery may be helpful to improve the final appearance of the scars.

Your plastic surgeon will likely have  scar treatment recommendations;  in my practice I suggest the use of silicone gel or sheeting for some patients.

I would suggest continued follow up with your plastic surgeon  and continued patience. Hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedures performed.