Can I Get my Breast Reduction Before I Get Pregnant?

pregnant women get their breast bigger.. if i get my breast reduction then i get pregnant.. will my breast grow back bigger again then have to do reduction again? is that safe to do breast feeding the baby?

Breast Reduction prior to Pregnancy

+1

It is possible to have a breast reduction prior to pregnancy and in most cases one can still breast feed after a breast reduction, as long as  the nipples were kept attached to the breast gland and ducts at the time of the surgery.  The quality of the breast milk will not be affected by having had a breast reduction.  It is true that breasts do enlarge with pregnancy and lactation.  After pregnancy and completing breast feeding breasts usually will once again get smaller (involute).  The final size after breast feeding may be larger, the same size, or smaller than the breasts were prior to pregnancy.  Breast can also enlarge with weight gain even after a brast reduction.  It is possible to perform a repeat breast reduction later in life if the breast once again become large or pendulous.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and pregnancy

+1

You certainly can get a breast reduction prior to becoming pregnant, however if you are planning to get pregnant soon, then I would wait until afterward.  In addition, it is hard to predict how the breasts will react to pregnancy in terms of recovery of shape.

Breast Reduction and Pregnancy

+1

Every woman is different. For some women their breasts do not enlarge much, if at all, with pregnancy and for others, they enlarge and stay large afterwards and for others they shrink after pregnancy. So it is impossible to predict which you will be. However, it is unlikely that you would be able to breast feed after a reduction, so if that is important to you, you should have your family first. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should be able to help you decide on your priorities and needs.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Timing of a breast reduction

+1

Without providing far more information such as the present size of your breasts, the extent and severity of the symptoms, considerations for breast feeding, timing of the pregnancies, etc., it is impossible to give you an absolute answer. There are too many individualized variables involved. Ideally, if you are planning to have children in the near future, it is generally better to wait until after you are done as the pregnancies and breast feeding will have an impact on the size and droopiness of your breasts.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduction and breast feeding

+1

Having a breast reduction before pregnancy poses the risk of not being able to breast feed after your pregnancy.  The risk depends on the type of surgery you have and the amount of tissue is removed.  If breast feeding is very important to you, then I would certainly reccommend waiting to have a breast reduction until after you are done having children.  Typically breasts get larger with pregnancy and breast feeding, then get smaller after you are done with breast feeding.  Weight gain and loss will also have a dramatic effect on breast size.  If you maintain your pre-pregnancy weight after breast feeding the breasts will most likely end up smaller.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction before pregnancy?

+1

Every patient is unique, so it is inappropriate to offer a sweeping recommendation, but in general, timing of reduction mammaplasty depends on the severity of your disability.  Heavy cumbersome breasts that are imposing significant difficulties upon your activities of daily living, both vocational and avocational, should be reduced.  The chosen technique should preserve ductal continuity and sensation.  The procedure should not be done during pregnancy, but before or after.  Of course, they may enlarge further or change during pregnancy and lactation, even to the degree that a secondary procedure may be indicated.  Then again, they may not enlarge significantly, and you may never again need any further surgery.

Steve Laverson, MD

Pregnancy and Breast Reduction

+1

In general. when you get pregnant, your breast glands will enlarge and get engorged.  Following delivery and breast feeding, your breast glands will involute (shrink).  If you have more pregnancies, this cycle will continue usually resulting in loss of fullness at the top of your breast and drooping of the gland below (the "ball in a sock" look that one of my patients described).  If you have a breast reduction before pregnancy, you will most likely go through the same cycle when you get pregnant.  You may very well need future surgery to revise your breasts.

Ricardo Izquierdo, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction before or after pregnancy

+1

The answer to this question is individual and would require an examination and consultation to discuss your goals.  .Breast reduction can be performed before or after pregnancy.  If you are planning on starting a family soon and breast feeding, I would wait until after.  You may have enlargement of the breasts and subsequent loss of tissue causing sagging after such that you may need to have a revision to tighten up the skin.  Of course if the breasts are extremely large, breast feeding may be difficult or impossible .  If you are suffering from back, neck or shoulder pain, or rashes underneath the breast from large hanging breasts, you may want to consider doing it sooner rather than later.  I have had many patients breast feed after reduction and maintain a good outcome without requiring additional surgery.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

You can get a Breast Reduction at any time

+1

It really depends on your overall plan. If your breast are causing you great difficulty due to the size, then this may be a real issue for you.  If you have a breast reduction your breast milk production will be reduced to some degree.  Usually, after breast feeding the breast volume will reduce and often you may need a breast lift to reposition the breast upward.  There are so many factors which affect the changes of the breast after pregnancy.  Yes it is safe to breast feed after a breast reduction.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast reduction and pregnancy

+1
You haven't stated your age and timing of pregnancy in relation to potential breast reduction surgery. If your symptoms are such that you need a breast reduction now, you can certainly have surgery at this point. Depending on the size of your breasts, this may or may not be important. Pregnancy will cause the breasts to engorge or enlarge, particularly if you gain a lot of weight. If you haven't breast fed already, then the ability to nurse would be uncertain in and of itself. Many breast reduction patients elect not to, as they don't want to risk further sagging or the need for more surgery, but this is a personal decision. If your breasts grow too large or sag sufficiently after childbirth, then you could consider another small reduction or a breast lift at that time; these operations are generally not covered by health insurance.

Robert L. Kraft, MD