Can I Get my Breast Reduction at 15?

Im 15 , i wear a 48DDD I really want a breast reduction it sucks to have big breast at a young age. My breast are holding me back from alot I cant play sports like I want to or nothing. I really wanna be active but my breast are keeping me back. I'm a freshman and high school and by junior year I wanna get my Reduction. I cry every night cause of my breast. I want to know places where they will allow me to get my breast reduction in or near Houston Tx and help medicaid.

Pediatric Breast Reduction

+1

If you are not obese, your condition is most likely compatible with " Virginal Breast Hypertrophy", a somewhat rare condition - look it up on the web for more information but essentially it means that your breasts  continue to grow without feedback from the rest of your body re: growing in proportion to the rest of you.

If you are overweight this may be due to a different problem (I noticed you wear a size 48 bra) and you will need to first lose weight until you are in the normal limit range and see if your breasts reduce in size as well.

You are suffering from physical, emotional  and other  psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis and so it may well be reasonable to have the surgery you want. It may also be necessary to have additional surgeries in the future if they continue to grow. This surgery should be considered reconstructive because of the functional problems it is causing. 
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon with experience with pediatric breast hypertrophy

Breast Reduction - Can I Get my Breast Reduction at 15?

+1

Well, there are a few obstacles - but it may be possible.  First, of course, is that you cannot do this without your parents' consent.  The age of consent in the United States is 18 and unless it's an emergency, surgeons will not (generally and as far as I know) be able to perform surgery on you in the absence of your parents say-so.  That may make it impossible - are your parents okay with it?  If not, you'll have to wait until you're 18.

If they support you, however, then you have to try to figure out if your breast growth is complete.  There's no way to know for sure but if your body hasn't changed in the last few years, then it's likely that your breast growth is complete and, at that point, you can reasonably consider a breast reduction.  There is always the possibility that your breasts may STILL grow - but I feel that significantly enlarged breasts, even in a younger woman such as you, can be reduced and will have a dramatic improvement in your quality of life.  Of course, there are consequences to this decision - there are scars, risks, etc.  But I have seen so many women benefit enormously from this procedure that I think that if it's something you're considering you should speak with your parents and take it from there.  Hopefully, they will support you in this.  I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction at 15?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.
As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).
On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.