Do I 'Have' to Have my Breast Reduced? I Just Want a Mastoplexy. If So, How Much Cup Will I Lose? I Want to Keep my Hourglass.

I want a breast uplift as for my age my breast are voluptuous but they droop. I'm 32GG/34G and the surgeon told me I'd have to get my breasts reduced. I can understand why but I love my curvy shape. I was wondering if there is an alternative procedure to this? Or if there isn't one, I don't mind losing THAT much but I'd like to know what cup size I'd be. I wouldn't mind being a DD, I still want big breasts to balance me out. If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know

Do I 'Have' to Have my Breast Reduced? I Just Want a Mastopexy. If So, How Much Cup Will I Lose? I Want to Keep my Hourglass

+1

I think that you can have a breast lift by itself or a reduction as long as you realize that very large breasts tend to droop faster than smaller ones.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Large breast will need to be reduced for succesfull lift

+1

Breasts that are large and heavy sag because of weight.  They need to be reduced to a proportionate size for lift to be successfull.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast reduction and lift

+1

Without an exam it is impossible to tell you waht would be appropriate.  A mastopexy can be done without a significant reduction for many patients.

Breast lifts and reductions

+1

No one should "have" to have their breasts reduced. If you want to have someone else pay for it then they get to decide whether the procedure is cosmetic or "medically necessary" and "insurance" coverable. 

If you approach this as your choice and a cosmetic change, then the issue is what is the downside to just lifting overly large and heavy breasts. 

I disagree with Dr. Yuan on the compaction of the breast with a lift. Properly done, a lift moves the breast up on the chest and tucks the skin beneath it. It doesn't add or subtract any significant size or mass of the breast. Breasts look bigger when they are lifted higher on the chest (as a bra does) but they're not actually bigger. The main tradeoff of a lift is the incisional scars required but the experience has been that if the breast is still too large and heavy, it will tend to sag back again even with modern techniques of repositioning breasts. Even a DD size is out of proportion and will tend to sag back. This would be a bit like having a tummy-tuck (abdominoplasty) and then having another pregnancy or serious weight gain. 

So you can elect to have a cosmetic mastopexy without reducing any breast tissue but you are likely to look bigger and have it sag back again, requiring a second surgery. 

I should add that in my experience, wearing or not wearing a bra has nothing to do with this in the long term.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mastopexy without loss of size

+1

It is impossible to give you a legitimate answer without photos and a physical examination. However, you can put on a bra that gives you the size and shape you desire and see if your breasts fill it out or spills out of the cups. A mastopexy can lift and compact the breast. While the mass may stay about the same, the volume can become smaller as the breast becomes denser. The denser and less compressible your breasts, the more you will have to have a reduction with your mastopexy.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD