Has my Breast Implants Gone Wrong?

I had breast implants 3 years ago. One breast is now hard and has the fake look, the other is soft and looks a lot more natural. I am not in any pain but it looks a bit strange. I had my first child 9 months ago, which I thought may be down to breast feeding more on one breast then the other? My surgeon wants £250 for him to have a look, I wondered if its nothing dangerous I could save myself the money.

Breast Implant Hardening

+1

You are likely experiencing a condition called capsular contracture.   To definitely treat this, you will likely need revisional surgery.  Please visit with your plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Firm breast on one side sounds like capsular contracture

+1

It is impossible to know for certain what is going on without a physical exam or at least a photo.  Typically when patients have one normal breast, and one that is firm and abnormal looking, the patient is having an issue with capsular contracture.  Capsular contracture is actually one of the more common reasons that breast augmentation patients need another surgery.  The treatment usually involves an implant exchange with a capsulectomy.  It is not necessarily dangerous in and of itself.  However, it can be become uncomfortable, and can interfere with future mammograms.   

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon