Is my Breast Implants Placed Too High? 4 Days Post-Op (photo)

In my initial consultation, my PS and I agreed on 300-325cc of silicone gel. He told me he would use HP implants on me because I have a narrow chest. I didn't feel like I have a narrowed chest, with a 30" rib cage. I wanted to be full on the bottom and not so much of an upper pole fullness. So I asked him to order me moderate plus and he agreed it would be fine also. Now I feel like I made a mistake on the moderate plus because the implants right now are really high. With time would this really settle?

Your breast implants will drop into a more normal position over the next 6-8 weeks. Do not be worried at 4 days

+1

Thank you for your question. Your breasts look very symmetrical after your breast augmentation and the position is quite normal for 4 days after breast augmentation. Expect it to take 6-8 weeks for your breast implants to become more normally positioned and look better. Always express your concerns to your plastic surgeon

Implants too High

+1

Though implants can end up (or placed) in the "wrong" position, at only 4 days post-op it's way too soon to make that determination. Your implants will settle with time and come down to a more normal position. It may take as long as 6 months, but usually takes 2-3. Fear not, it will get better. 

Asaad H. Samra, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Are your implants too high?

+1

Yes your implants are too high...but it has only been a short time and things should improve. It may take 4-6 months to know for sure if you will need a revision. While most surgeons will say that the implants ALWAYS drop, I do not entirely agree and I personally feel that if the implants start out very high, they will never get to the correct position and a revision is very likely. Good Luck, be patient. Call your surgeon if you are concerned though.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Give it time

+1

Hello. Four days is not near enough time for the implants to settle and they are also swollen. Your implants will not settle for about another three to four months and I would not be too worried about your outcome until then. Until then the best thing you can do to help them settle would be to massage and continue using any compressive dressings your surgeon had provided. If you have concerns you should not be afraid to talk to your surgeon.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

4 Days after Breast Augmentation and High Riding Implants

+1

Implants will be high 4 days after breast augmentation in many patients.  The muscles will relax and the implants will drop to the extent that the pockets were dissected.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Dear BBoobs: Much TOOOOO early (only 4 days) to be concerned. This in most cases is very typical after sub pectoral augmentation. That is the "high riding" effect. Allow a few months of settling and downward massages. BUT ONLY follow the advise of your surgeon. There is always the possibility the inferior pocket was not dissected enough but again  to early to tell. 

Implants will drop over time

+1
It is part of the healing process. Process means something that evolves over time. This should have been clarified preoperatively. Give things a chance to settle down.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Subpectoral breast implants should look high at 4 days.

+1

Firstly, take a deep breath. Secondly at four days subpectoral implants should look high. It is normal. I takes several weeks to months to settle down and fill the lower breasts. The tighter your skin and muscle, the longer it will take. More subtle changes may take a year to evolve. Thirdly, yes, moderate plus implants are taller as well as wider, but the right answer presently is to let your breast heal. It is too early to predict your results from pictures, Ask your surgeon. They will have a better idea of the expected outcome.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Implants start high and will drop over time

+1

Thanks for your question and I understand your concern.  The normal progression after a breast augmentation is for the implants to start high but over time they drop.  The skin from the nipple to the breast fold will stretch dramatically over time.  If it looked perfect from day1 it won't look good in the long run once the skin has fully stretched.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon at your next office visit.  They will likely ease your concerns and give you reassurance that the implants will drop over time.  I tell patients that it usually takes a full three months for the implants to settle into position.  Good luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Implants Riding High

+1
Your implants are riding high as a result of being in the submuscular position. This is normal and will improve dramatically with time. Too early to evaluate results...try to relax. Discuss your concerns further with your surgeon at your next visit.  All the best.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon