My Breast Implants Seem Too High. I Got 350cc Implants Put in 3 Days Ago and They Are Too High. Why? (photo)

I got 350cc silicone implants put in 3 days ago, behind the muscle. I was a 34-A before, looking to become a 34-C. I came out of surgery and they are riding so high on my chest I look deformed! It honestly looks like a man's pecs. Should I get them removed?? Or will they lower? And how soon? I am a dancer, so the money I make (to support my children with) depends on how my body looks.

Breast Implants Riding High 3 days Post Op

+2

Thank you for your question and photos.

It is very normal for breast implants placed under the muscle to ride high for the first few months until the pectoralis muscle relaxes and the breast implants fall into the pocket created for them.

At this point in your recovery (3 days post op), it is too early to know what your final outcome will be. I suggest you keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon and allow him/her to get you through the recovery process.

Best Wishes.

Breast Implants too high on chest

+1
It is early and your implants may continue to drop. However, some women benefit from having their inframammary fold lowered.
A common error that leads to an unnatural appearance after breast augmentation, even with implants of an ideal size, is inadequate lower pole dissection and/or inadequate release of the pectoralis major origin just above the inframammary fold. As a result the implants sit too high and appear excessively full in the upper poles (the area above the nipple-areola complex), while the lower poles - which should be the fullest area of the breast - are underfilled. Inadequate muscle release may also result in bizarre-appearing breast implant animation when the pec major muscle contracts. In some cases this may result in one or both of their implants jumping up literally to the level of a patient's collarbones - an alarmingly unnatural look, and one that is totally avoidable

A shaped form stable breast implant can give the patient the lowest risk of fold and ripples in the lower pole, the lowest risk of a visible transition between natural breast tissue and implant  (sometime refereed to as a double bubble) and the lowest risk of breast implant malposition with the breasts bottoming out. I think there is a performance difference between form stable breast implants. Consult with plastic surgeon who have experience and expertise perfuming this particular procedure. 

In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold. 

Likewise, if the inframammary fold is lowered too far, the augmented breast will appear 'bottomed out', with an excessively full lower pole, an empty upper pole, and a nipple/areola that appears to sit too high on the breast - another situation with a distinctly unnatural appearance, and one that requires surgical correction: repair of the inframammary fold(s).

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

3 days postop

+1

Don't worry - you are only 3 days postop.  What you are seeing is very likely postoperative swelling.  It can take 2-6 weeks for that swelling to resolve.   So followup with your PS.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Position

+1
3 days post surgery is too early to remove implants.You need to give your body time to heal. You need to wear breast band to help the implants come down. Muscle is pushing the implants up and you need to let the muscle relax. Your implant should drop, make sure you follow your surgeons post instruction.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

High Riding Implants Right After Breast Augmentation

+1

For most breast augmentation patients, it is perfectly normal that the implants will look too high particularly right after surgery. Swelling and the initial tightness of the once smaller breast mound make for considerable and unnatural upper pole fullness. The implants will initially go to where the tissues are not as tight.  As the swelling subsides and the skin begins to relax, particularly in the lower pole, implant dropping or settling will occur. This is process may be encouraged through the use of banding in the first month after surgery, which is common practice for most plastic surgeons if needed. Rest assured that you have a ways to go in the recovery process and the final result has yet to be seen. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD