Are my Breast Implants Way Too Far Apart? I'm 1 Month PO. (photo)

It's been one month since my breast augmentation procedure. I'm happy with the size and shape, though I would consider going slightly larger. Part of the reason I would consider going larger is in the hope that the gap between my breasts would be minimised. Changing sizes would cost a great deal of money, which I'm hesitant to go through with. Are there any alternatives? Do you think they are too far apart? Any honest advice would be greatly appreciated.

Breast Implant Spacing and Cleavage

+2

While your picture is distorted by having your arms raised, any concern about implant spacing should be given more time for healing and your adjustment to them. Remember that breast implants merely increase in size the way your breasts were before surgery. So I suspect this is a good result for you based on where you started. It is likely, which is common, that you believed your implants would create cleavage when they will not almost regardless of size. Most certainly you should never go up in size with the belief that it will make your implants closer together.

Breast Implants Positioning?

+2

Thank you for the question and photo.

I think you will be better served by submitting a photo with your arms by the side and standing.

Based on the photo that you have submitted, it seems that your breast implants are positioned nicely,  with the nipple/areola complex is centered on the breast mounds. An attempt to move the breast implants towards the cleavage area  would potentially cause problems with rippling/palpability of the implants  in the cleavage area and/or with the nipple/areola complexes appearing off centered on the breast mounds.

I would suggest that you continue to be patient and  evaluate the end results of surgery 6 months  to a year from now.

Implant spacing

+2

Your implants look fine to me at this point.  Give it 6 months of healing before being too critical.  Remember that going wider to close the gap increases the risk of getting a "unibreast."

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implants too far apart?

+2

Hi there:

From your picture, it's simply not possible to make a sensible evaluation.  Your arms are up, and it looks like you might even be lying down.

If you're able to post a picture with you standing in a relaxed upright pose facing directly to the camera, we'll have a chance of offering you some worthwhile advice. Even better, a second picture with you standing looking at the camera with your hands on hips pressed hard will further help us to offer you a good opinion.

Best of luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Interval between breasts varies

+2

every woman is different. the space between the breasts is not the same. the breasts are where they are and the surgeon must center the implants on the nipples, wherever they happen to be. your implants look to be properly positioned . appears that your surgeon did a nice job!

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Wide space between the breasts

+2

In patients with a wide sternum, it can be quite difficult to get a large amount of cleavage. Placing the implant under the muscle makes the ability to decrease that space harder as the muscle will push the implant laterally. Going on top of the muscle will allow a slightly closer placement but one has to be careful in doing so to avoid a synmastia problem.

Julio Garcia, MD

Implants are centered in the breast

+2

You may have wider spacing on your chest, though the implants must be centered under the nipple within the breast envelope to look 'right'. Let yourself heal and settle in for six months or longer before you judge.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Breasts implants too far apart?

+2

At one month, you do not have your final result; however, your result looks great. There is supposed to be some space between the breasts, and the amount varies from person to person. Most women do not have bulging breast tissue over the sternum without wearing a bra. While plastic surgeons realize that having the breast unnaturally close together is often desirable, there are limits and compromises involved.

If the breasts are naturally far apart, the skin between the breasts is tighter, and tends to push the implants out. Aggressively releasing this skin can lead to symmastia (uni-boob) or inadequate soft tissue covering the implant causing ripples. If you are not familiar with symmastia, just google it and you will see the result, if you do google it notice the position of the nipples too.

The ribs are the foundation which support breast implants, and the rib cage is round. This tends to encourage the implants to move apart also.

The most aesthetic positioning of the breast implants depends on many factors, not the least of which is trying to center the nipple on the breast mound. Breast augmentation simply increases the volume of the breast, and servers to magnify any nipple asymmetry. Breast augmentation alone does not change the position of the nipple, only a breast lift does that. But the implant can be moved around under the skin. Moving your breast implants closer together will result in your nipples appearing farther apart. This is a more masculine position.

The best medial results are seen in women who already have some breast tissue in that area. The breast implants support the breast tissue medially enhance cleavage, but the implant itself is not all the way to the medial edge of the breast.

If you want to maintain your implants centrally, wearing a bra will help. This gives immediate results, and helps prevent the implants from drifting apart. Hopefully, you can be happy with the size, shape and location of your breast implants. You have a nice result. :)

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Are my breasts too far apart (photo)?

+2

No, they aren't too far apart.  You have a great result, considering your starting point.  Your nipples are off to your sides, and the implant must be centralized behind your nipples.  While it's true a wider implant would bring the inner edges of your breasts closer together, a wider implant would also encroach on arm mobility and lower the bottom of your breasts.  Your ribs angle off to the sides, which tend to lateralize the implants.  Your surgeon did a great job of compromising between central location of the implants behind each breast, and medializing them to provide you with satisfactory "cleavage," which you most certainly will have with the right bra.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast implant position

+2

From your photo, it is difficult to assess them given that your arms are up.  I would continue to allow your implants to settle and for your skin to stretch.  From your photo, I think that your implants will be very well positioned.

Be patient and continue to follow with your PS

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon