My Breast Implant Pocket Seems to Be Created Too High. Can This Be Corrected?

I had a breast augmentation procedure eight weeks ago; silicone mod plus profile 350cc under the muscle. Since day one my right breast was the one that was more painful, harder and has been dropping a lot slower than the left one. Also, it is more mobile than the left breast, hurts and feels uncomfortable when moving, bending over and laying down. The left breast was a breeze. I am attaching one picture of my breasts when I am lying down and one of me standing up. Thank you in advance.

Asymmetry?

+2

Your standing picture looks good. There is usually a slight difference in breast position and if anything, your left looks subtly higher than the right at the breast fold. (A slightly higher left breast is remarkably common.) I would not encourage surgery for a difference that minor since re-operation carries risk too. In the picture laying on your back the photo is rotated enough to exaggerate the appearance of asymmetry. It's interesting that they look equally close to your clavicle or perhaps the right may be slightly closer but that would not be something to merit re-operation either in my opinion. I think you'll find that the are still evolving and I would encourage you to wait at least 6 months post-op to see where things have settled. My 6 week pictures are usually different than those at 6 months. One side more painful than the other is not that uncommon and almost always resolves by the 3rd month. Hang in there, I see nothing to be too worried about at 8 weeks!

+2

Hi, definitely it is very possible that you have a capsular contracture, which is keeping the breast hard, painful, fixed in one place. Eight weeks is more than enough for the implant had evolved to stay in the right place. You should go see your doctor so that evaluates you and help you resolve the situation. Do not feel worried those are things that sometimes occur but are easy to solve.

Yvelise Bello Paredes, MD

+2

Your breast pockets seem to be fine.  Just give them some more time. It will take 3-6 months for the final appearance of the your implants.  In the meantime just keep in contact with your plastic surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

+2

This may resolve with time and massage.  If it does not, the pocket can be lowered a bit more.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Post-op Asymmetry and Pain Can Take Months to Heal

+2

If you were always more sore on one side, and that side is still sore and taking longer to settle, that is not unusual.  For whatever reason, that side us taking longer to heal.  However, it really can take a few months for everything to stop changing, so be patient.  As long as everything is improving, then you are in the right path.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Pocket Question

+2

There is a good chance this situation will correct itself.  Otherwise, a pocket revision can be done as an outpatient, or in an office setting.  Discuss your options with your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implant position not symmetrical 8 weeks post-op--what to do.

+2

You are correct in your symmetry assessment, but the degree is mild and the time for complete healing is months away, making additional changes certain as time goes by and your internal scar tissue matures (just as your external scar will soften, fade, and probably stretch a tiny bit).

Be patient with yourself; after all, even though your surgeon operated precisely and carefully to make your surgical pockets as symmetrical as possible, your measurement were NOT symmetrical pre-op, your chest is naturally asymmetrical (heart on the left side makes that side of your chest wall more curved, and the right side flatter and slightly wider), and you have a dominant hand that moves and is used more than the opposite hand. Also, you almost certainly had a bit more bruising, swelling, and perhaps a slightly thicker or softer capsule on one side over the other, so asymmetry is not only normal for most, but virtually guaranteed to happen in one manner or another, and in varying degrees, to all patients. Of course, some patients look more closely than others, and everyone looks more closely AFTER surgery than before!

That is why it is so critical, IMHO, to use a nighttime elastic bandeau and eventually a bra to aid in adjusting implant position as accurately and symmetrically as possible while those scars can be modified (6 months or so, sometimes longer), so you look good for the long-term, not just right after surgery. (Those patients who look "perfect" right after surgery often "bottom out" as time goes by and scar capsules soften and stretch, despite wearing a surgical bra to "hold" the implants in the desired position.)

So I would suggest asking your surgeon about an elastic bandeau to wear above the "high" implant and below the "low" one, going braless or using only a cami with a built-in shelf bra during the day. This is done until implants are more symmetrically positioned, after which the bandeau is discontinued in favor of a supportive bra to slow the natural dropping process so you don't end up too low at 6-12 months post-op! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Reasonable chance implant position will be better with time

+2

situation like this not terribly unusual and relatively good chance it might self correct with a few months time, both position and discomfort issues. if not, position can be lowered surgically, most likely under local anesthesia in office or outpatient setting.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

High ridding implant at 8 weeks

+2

You do have some asymmetry as far as the position of your breast implants.  You still have time for the implant to drop into a better position.  Continue with implant massage and follow your plastic surgeons advice.  If at 4 -6 months the implant remains high then an inferior capsuectomy may be needed. to lower the implant.  

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Some degree of breast implant pocket asymmetry and differential “settling” of the breast implants is commonly seen after breast augmentation surgery. Whether or not this will be a long-term issue that may benefit from revisionary breast surgery will need to be evaluated anywhere six months to one year after the procedure was performed.

In the meantime, I would suggest continued patience and continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.