My Breast Implant is Hard, and Hurts, What Does That Mean?

Implants are Hard and Hurt

+1

Dear Patient, 

If it is early after your surgery, your post operative discomfort and swelling may be normal. However, if it has been a while since you had your surgery, the hardness may be due to thickening of the capsule around the implant. Sometimes massage techniques can help for the hardness. I suggest that if the problem persists or worsens, you should consult with your surgeon.

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Hard implant

+1

A bit more of a history would be helpful. Just based upon what you wrote, it could be many different things but the most common one assuming that these are long standing implants is a capsular contracture.  If these are new implants and you are early post-op it could represent a hematoma. Either way you shuold see/speak to your surgeon.  If a hematoma then it is urgent.

Breast hard and hurts

+1

You could have an infection, hematoma, seroma or contracture depending on how long it has been since your surgery and what other symptoms you have.  If your surgery was recent you should see your plastic surgeon really soon.  If it has been awhile (more than a few months) you likely have a capsular contracture around your implant that will be best treated with surgery.  You should still see your surgeon, but less urgently.  I have included a link to the discusion of capsular contractures on my website.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Breast hardness and pain

+1
You haven't provided very much information as to how long ago you underwent a breast augmentation, whether there is redness along the suture line, fever, etc. You may have an infection or a capsular contracture but, without additional information, it would be impossible to appropriately evaluate your situation. I suggest that you contact your plastic surgeon and see him as soon as possible.

Robert L. Kraft, MD