Has my Breast Implant Bottomed Out?

Hi I had breast lift with implant on May 2013 but, I'm extremely unhappy with the result, my nipples are too high and my right breast has pain and it itches.. I need some advise please, what has to be done to fix this? Thanks

Augmentation with breast lift is a tough, tough operation

+1

The operation you had is a very difficult one because it pits two opposing forces against each other.  The lift is supposed to tighten and lift the breast but the implant is trying to stretch out and lower the breast.  The need for revision in these cases is pretty high.

From your photos, it looks like your nipples are a little to high and your implants are a little too big and low.  It may be that you would benefit from smaller implants and raising of your inframammary fold.  Also revising your lift to reduce your areola size may also improve the appearance of your breast.  My guess is that the large implant caused your areola to spread. 

Make sure you go back to your original surgeon and let him/her know that you are not satisfied.  I'm sure he/she wants to help you get a result that you are pleased with.  If you seek a second opinion, be sure you go to a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who has a lot of experieince with revisional breast surgery. 

Has my Breast Implant Bottomed Out?

+1

Yes in a sense. I see the lifting was measured to high for the N/A complexes. Best to seek second opinions in person. 

Bottom out and mastopexy

+1

The nipple should ideally be placed on the apex of the breast mound and this is difficult to assess in these photos. It may be that the volume of the breast is below the nipple giving the appearance that the nipple is too high.

All of this needs a full examination and assessment to plan the way forward. I suggest seeing your surgeon to discuss the best plan of action

All the best

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Are my nipples too high after mastopexy?

+1

Position of Nipples is a very objective think - however I would definitely  go back and see your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  It appears that you had a vertical mastopexy.  You did not provide the preoperative photographs(which would be helpful), you picture has you arms back and may change the appearance of your breast shape.

as many as 28% of patients that have a vertical mastopexy require a revision because the length from the nipple areolar complex to the chest wall is too long, and stretches out over time.  Usually a horizontal excision can help improve this problem  Good Luck!

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implants

+1

It might be that the length of the lower chest area is too long, and thus has allowed your implants to be lower. You may need a revision lift, but best to be seen in person.  

Nipples too high or Implants too low?

+1

Dear Kimberley329947,  Breast lift with implants is a notoriously difficult operation to get right and it is not uncommon to require a revision.  Bottoming out is something that tends to develop over time and so I am not sure that I would use the term for your situation, but in a way it doesn't really matter what you call it.  I agree that your nipples look too high, but I suspect that the problem is that your implants are too low.  Of course it is difficult to be too specific based on a photograph, but my impression is that the implants need to be raised by recreating the inframammary fold at a higher level. It is not ideal to seek too much technical advice in this forum.  You are obviously unhappy with your result, so let your surgeon know and I would hope that he or she would help you through.  If you are not happy with how you are being dealt with, then ask for another opinion.  I am sorry that things have not gone as you had planned, this sometimes happens, which is why it is so important to choose the right surgeon at the outset.  I hope that if you stick with your surgeon, there will be a way through this, although it may well involve revision surgery.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon