Can my Breast Be Fixed with Scar Revision? (photo)

I had a breast lift with implant ( round 340 cc) at 3 weeks post op i started spitting stittches on my right breast only,which resulted in wound opening and scar stretching around my areola. My question is:Can it be fixed?Would I need only scar revision or full breast lift again on my right breast?What can be done to prevent spitting stiches and wound opening if i do have scar revision? I am 3 months post op now,how soon can i do revision?My PS told me to go back in 1 year time.

Can my breast be fixed with scar revision?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.  Scar revision may be required if desired. 

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Revisionary Breast Surgery Indicated?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, revisionary surgery may be helpful;  waiting approximate one-year post operatively is good advice.

Wide scars improve with time but will need revision

+1

Wide breast scars do improve with time in color and texture, but usually require some revision at later date in order to produce a thin line.  It is best to wait until the tissues have stabilized completely (6-12 months)

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision at 3 months?

+1

Overall looks very good. I agree with your PS about waiting longer. The pinkness of the scar is going to fade.

Ronald Schuster, MD