Are my Breast Encapsulated?

I have cohesive gel implants and I'm scared that my right one (over the muscle) may be encapsulated it feels hard and lumpy and a little painful. As I said in my previous question I can't see my PS as he is in another country so I'm thinking of going to a general doctor and ask for a referral to get an ultrasound done. Will it show if it's encapsulated? And if it is what would I have to do? What are my aptions and how much would it be to get it replaced. Thank you!

Encapsulated breast implants

+1

Without a physical exam it is impossible to give an accurate assessment of your implants and the surrounding capsule.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Are my Breast Encapsulated?

+1

Capsular contracture is a clinical diagnosis, based upon findings on a physical examination and by patient history. In over 25 years of practice I have never heard of a plastic surgeon ordering an ultrasound to diagnose a capsular contracture. It would surprise me if a general physician would have the experience to make a diagnosis of contracture. 

If the lump is not the implant, it does need to be investigated, and your physician can help choose the appropriate imaging study. 

All the best. 

It could be a capsular contracture

+1

A plastic surgeon could make the diagnosis if it is a capsular contracture.  I do not think an ultrasound will help diagnose the contracture but it may help evaluate the lump.  If there is concern of leakage then an MRI or mammogram may be helpful.  These are all considerations that a plastic surgeon can address for you.  You should never assume that a breast lump is related to the implant leakage, it could be something else.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

+1

Diagnosing a capsular contracture is really a clinical diagnosis based upon symptoms and exam.  An ultrasound will not give you siginficant enough information regarding a capsule formation.

Ultrasound is not needed for diagnosis of capsular contracture in breast augmentation.

+1

Capsular contracture which is an unwanted byproduct occasionally breast augmentation is a clinical diagnosis. Ultrasound has no role in evaluation of the problem. The problem should be managed by plastic surgeon.

Capsular contracture in #Breastimplants and #MedicalTourism... oh Dear.

+1

Dear young lady.  This is the problem with medical tourism...  When things go fine, there is no issue but when things may get complicated, it is a different story.

1-3% of patients do develop a capsular contracture after breast augmentation procedure.  It is not dangerous but you need an assessment.  It is fixable with a surgical procedure.

Lumps ALWAYS have to be investigated, with and without breast implants.

You can start with getting an ultrasound and mammography.  Those studies will NOT detect encapsulation (it is more a clinical diagnosis) but they may detect an issue with the implant itself like a rupture or an issue with the glands.  If inconclusive, get an MRI.

Ultimately, find a local board-certified plastic surgeon who can assess your breasts.  Try to get the old operative report so the new plastic surgeon knows the details of your out-of-country procedure.

You have amazing board-certified plastic surgeons at home... why go in a different country?

Good luck!

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Plastic Surgeon, Board-certified, 416.929.9800

Marc DuPéré, MD