Is my Breast Bottoming Out? Had CC Correction. (photo)

I had a capsular contracture corrected on my left breast. It has been exactly one month since surgery and my breast looked great two days ago. I stopped wearing my foam support and bra. Yesterday, they looked like the first pic. I made my own support with rolled up gauze and an underwire bra. Today, they looked like the second picture. I am confused. Is my breast bottoming out? It seemed to correct itself a little bit with the support. My nipple naturally points to the left. My doc is great btw.

Is My Left Breast Bottoming Out?

+1

If you left breast was bottoming out, your nipple would be pointing upward (star gazing), and the inframammary fold on the left would be much lower than that on the right.  Even though your surgeon corrected your capsular contracture, there is always a capsule made up of scar tissue around every breast implant.  This capsule takes time to form.  Once it forms (hopefully stays very soft), it will lift your breast up just a bit.  This lack of a new, well formed capsule may look like the beginning of bottoming out, but I wouldn't worry at this time. 

I like your idea of hedging your bet by keeping the rolled up gauze and underwire bra on as much as possible to lock your redone breast augmentation from any potential of bottoming out.  Of course, questions of this nature should be posed to your plastic surgeon who, from your description, sounds like a great doctor.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Is my breast "bottoming out?" (photos)

+1

The proper position for your nipples is at the forwardmost prominence, centrally located on the breast mound.  "Bottoming out" is a term applied when implants drop lower than they should, causing the implant (and horizontal breast meridian) to reposition lower than normal.  This results in loss of superior fullness, a low inframammary crease, an abnormally situated nipple-areola complex, and if the implant was placed through an inframammary incision, a visible horizontal scar on the lower breast.

These problems are not apparent in your submitted photos. Your implants appear well positioned to me, and your early result excellent. 

Steve Laverson, MD

Bottom Out

+1

From your pictures, your breasts seem to be in good position. The inframammary fold is holding up nicely and you have an excellent result. I would maintain wearing a supportive, shaping bra to help preserve the fold and breast position while you continue to heal. Talk with your surgeon to see what he recommends but I like the American Sports Bra and Wacoal's supportive sports bra. Generally, I have my patients avoid pectoralis activities for about 8-12 weeks as well. 

C. Andrew Salzberg, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contracture Correction

+1

I am sure your doc is great; he did a nice job on you!  I don't see much change to your left breast between the two photographs other than the tape being removed.  You said it has been a month, so you've been taking great care of them.  The inframammary fold looks to be intact so I don't think you will be dropping out.  Ask your doctor if it is ok to wear an underwire bra or a least a very supportive bra that mimicks the pressure an underwire places at the inframammary fold. It will counter any pressure the implant is placing on the lower pole of the breast, and will give you peace of mind.

Congratulations, it looks like you have a very nice result!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Is my Breast Bottoming Out? Had CC Correction.

+1

Based only on the posted photos I see no bottoming out. But I see a GREAT result. Best for you to see the operative surgeon to discuss your issues. 

Bottoming out?

+1

Judging by the photos I think everything looks good.  There will be some settling after the correction of capsular contracture normally. I would continue your post operative instructions as outlined by your plastic surgeon and continue to follow up.

Thanks for the question and the photos.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Not bottoming out

+1

From your one photo, it appears that the two creases are level to eachother therefore I don't think you are bottoming out.  Ask all these questions of your doctor though, they'd want it that way.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS