My Breast Augmentation Scars Are Too High, What Can I Do? (photo)

My scars sit about 1 inch from the bottom of my breasts. I went from A to C cup with 300cc Mcghan style 410 anatomical implants. My skin was tight and my breasts haven't dropped a great deal. I don't have a fold to hide the scars and because they sit so high they are very visible. This bothers me a lot. I wouldn't want more fullness in the breast above the nipple but I hate that the scars are so high. Is there anything I can do to encourage my breasts to drop, or help hide or lower the scars?

My breast augmentation scars are too high - what can I do?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location.  Your scars cannot be moved, but pocket revision may be performed if the implants have dropped.  However, on your photos, it appears that the implants are in adequate position, so your scars may have been placed too high. 

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Breast augmentation scars are too high. Is there anything I can do

+1

Thank you for your photos.  I'm sorry that you are not completely satisfied with your results.  If your implants dropped more, your scars would be more visible.  Talk with your surgeon to see what your revision options are after an in office exam.  One option may be a capsulorrhaphy which will move your fold higher, therefore hiding your scars.  You should be able to use your same implants and the same incision as entrance site.  Best of luck! ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implant scars are too high

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Unfortunately, I don't believe there is anything you can do to help the scars move.  If the breast implants moved lower, the scars would actually rise further onto the visible part of your breast.  Obviously, an in-person exam would be best, but based on the photograph you would likely need to have the implants moved higher and move the inframammary fold up as well.  The fold below the breast could be moved up to make sure that the scar sits at the level of the new crease.  This would be you best bet for correction.  Be sure to discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

+1

Your implants sit below your scars.  The scars cannot be moved, but you can have the pocket adjusted so that the implants sit higher to conceal the scars in the fold.  There are several options to achieve this, but in my hands I would offer someone internal sutures to raise the fold so that the scars settled within this fold.

Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Scars too high after breast augmentation

+1

To fully assess the problem I would need a formal examination but I think the issue here is that the implant is too low and the scars are correctly positioned. If the implant was moved to a higher position the scar would be in the fold, and you would achieve more upper pole fullness.  This option you would need to discuss with a surgeon and there may be a solution to your concerns.

All the best

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Hiding breast fold scars

+1
The issue you have is that your implants are sitting below the site of your scars, not that the scars have moved up.  To correct this, the implants need to be moved up and the breast fold needs to be corrected by placing sutures inside, along the desired breast fold line.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lowering your breast augmentation scars

+1

The only way to "lower" your incisional scar would be to raise your breast creases or inframammary folds. This requires another surgery that places sutures within the inner aspect of your implant pockets (capsulorrhaphy). Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to encourage your breasts to drop or hide your scars. If your implants did drop more, your scars would appear even higher. Discuss the surgical option with your plastic surgeon to determine if surgery is of value or not. 

Gregory Park, MD

My Breast Augmentation Scars Are Too High, What Can I Do?

+1

A revisional surgery can improve this, though the scar may be a bit longer. 

Although the incisions are planned in the fold, placing the implant will often displace the fold a bit, and it is far superior to be high than low, lest this be visible in a swim suit.  A large implant on a small breast will increase the possible scar migration. 

All the best. 

Visible scars above the breast crease

+1

Your scars are slightly high and this may have something to do with your implant placement. You may want to discuss a revision procedure that will use some deep sutures to better place your scar in the breast crease.

Matthew Schulman, MD