Is my Breast Augmentation Dropping Normally? (photo)

I am 19 years old, 5'3" and 135lbs and I recently (5 weeks ago) had a subpectoral breast augmentation of 650cc's each and an inframammary incision. I previously was an A cup. I specifically wanted a very large breast implant. I am now wondering if my implants are progressing normally, I feel as though they are still very long and from my side profile a little flat. Also my nipple is still very low. Will it take longer for them because they are so large?

Why Do My Breasts Appear So High and So Long?

+4

Breast augmentation subpectoral, either saline or silicone, will appear high and long for several months, and is directly related to tight muscles, tight skin, and malpositioned fluid.  From what I see, your implants are in the right place.  The fluid in your implants, however, is displaced upward due to skin and muscle pressure.  To assure yourself that the implants are in the right place, touch the bottom of your breasts.  If you feel firmness from your implant, then your implant is correctly positioned.  The skin at the bottom of your breast from your nipple to your inframammary incision needs to stretch, out and it will but you can help it by wearing a Bando or ace wrap above the implants to help push the fluid downward.  Secondly, try not to wear a bra as this pushes the bottom of the implant up, just the opposite of what you want.  Silicone nipple covers make a good alternative to bras for modesty reasons.  They cost less and are more comfortable.

As far as your nipples being low, that is because the fluid in the implant is displaced upward.  When it comes back to where it's supposed to be, the nipples will appear more correctly positioned. 

I don't believe the implants have to drop because they are in the right position.  It really is only the fluid that has to drop.  And by the way, congratulations.  It appears your doctor did an excellent job.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

High riding implants at 5 weeks

+1
At five weeks your implants should be starting to drop. Although it can take several months for implants to drop completely (especially large implants on a small frame like yours) I would expect yours to have made more progress. See your plastic surgeon to discuss adding a band across the top of your breasts. If they don't drop in the next 4-6 weeks you will need a revision.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I would wait at least 6 months before considering dropping implants by going back in and relesing the muscle more. My guess your muscles and skin are just super tight

Implants high

+1

The implants are high but you can expect them to continue to drop over time as the muscle and skin relaxes. Keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and follow his/ her post op directions.

Superior muscle bulge after breast augmentation

+1

Your breasts still appear to be high.  But look at the crease under the breast as long as this crease symmetric the bulge in the upper quadrant is something other than the implant.  In your case it is muscle and will stretch out and go down with time.  

How Long for Breast Implants to Drop?

+1

Hello. You should be very happy with your augmentation. Your implants will change drastically over the next 5 months, and it takes 6-9 months for implants to completely drop. If you have any concerns, be sure to consult your doctor right away. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com/photogallery/breast-augmentation-7001

+1

I do feel your implants are high riding, however I do still believe that if you are patient and give this 3-4 months that they will settle down much much better. Thinks that will help you at this point are consistency with massage and using a band across the top of your breasts to help force them down. Before you get too worked up about them I really would give this time. I have had a few patients that even I felt were too high riding a month out and every single one of them settled down by 3-4 months and they were very happy. In my opinion do not revise them for many months down the road. Your skin will stretch over time, and if after 3-4 months you are not happy then plan with your surgeon how to proceed.  See your surgeon now and let him know your feelings.

Your breast implants do not seem to be dropping

+1

Unfortunately, it looks like your implants are not dropping. Some may tell you that it takes up to 4 months to fully drop, but I personally think that is a reach. In my experience, when the implants are well positioned in an adequate pocket, they drop into very ice position within 6 weeks.  You should see your PS, but I suspect a revision is in your future. Sorry.

Large Implants and Complications

+1

Your implants are too high at this point. Despite their considerable heft and the waterhammer effect (I presume they are saline filled), they are unlikely to drop enough to allow rotation of the nipple into an acceptable position or fill out the lower pole of the breast.  Compared to the forces being exerted downward by the implants themselves, implant massage regimens or elastic bands are insignificant, and will offer no meaningful benefit.

Your only redress is a revision surgery to 'open' the pockets up to allow the implants to drop down into a more pleasing position. However, this is no certain task, and the outcome of doing so may lead to a new, and more difficult complication, the double bubble effect. This is when the size and projection of the implant overwhelms your body's ability to hold the inframammary fold down against the chest wall, lifting it up and allowing the implant to slide into a pocket covered by chest/abdominal skin. 

You should consider decreasing the size of your implants.  The argument that others have done the very same thing and had an acceptable outcome does not lend credence that the same can be had for you. 

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.drminniti.com

Breasts dropping post op

+1

It looks like your breasts should have dropped more by now....wearing a breast stabilizer band over the upper part of your breasts may help, but if this does not improve over the next few months you will need a revision to lower the implants.

Kahului Plastic Surgeon