Is my Breast Augmentation Dropping Normally? (photo)

I am 19 years old, 5'3" and 135lbs and I recently (5 weeks ago) had a subpectoral breast augmentation of 650cc's each and an inframammary incision. I previously was an A cup. I specifically wanted a very large breast implant. I am now wondering if my implants are progressing normally, I feel as though they are still very long and from my side profile a little flat. Also my nipple is still very low. Will it take longer for them because they are so large?

Why Do My Breasts Appear So High and So Long?

Breast augmentation subpectoral, either saline or silicone, will appear high and long for several months, and is directly related to tight muscles, tight skin, and malpositioned fluid.  From what I see, your implants are in the right place.  The fluid in your implants, however, is displaced upward due to skin and muscle pressure.  To assure yourself that the implants are in the right place, touch the bottom of your breasts.  If you feel firmness from your implant, then your implant is correctly positioned.  The skin at the bottom of your breast from your nipple to your inframammary incision needs to stretch, out and it will but you can help it by wearing a Bando or ace wrap above the implants to help push the fluid downward.  Secondly, try not to wear a bra as this pushes the bottom of the implant up, just the opposite of what you want.  Silicone nipple covers make a good alternative to bras for modesty reasons.  They cost less and are more comfortable.

As far as your nipples being low, that is because the fluid in the implant is displaced upward.  When it comes back to where it's supposed to be, the nipples will appear more correctly positioned. 

I don't believe the implants have to drop because they are in the right position.  It really is only the fluid that has to drop.  And by the way, congratulations.  It appears your doctor did an excellent job.

Time and effort

The implants will settle over a period of 6 months.  It will take time, but also effort.  Massage after breast augmentation I find to be important in the postoperative progress.  Your implants appear normal based on the preoperative anatomy and the size of the implant.  Give them time and do the massage.

Your breast implants do not seem to be dropping

Unfortunately, it looks like your implants are not dropping. Some may tell you that it takes up to 4 months to fully drop, but I personally think that is a reach. In my experience, when the implants are well positioned in an adequate pocket, they drop into very ice position within 6 weeks.  You should see your PS, but I suspect a revision is in your future. Sorry.

Larger implants and tight skin will take longer to settle

After placing implants under the muscle, the muscles contract and create a temporary elevation of the implants. In addition, there is swelling and the skin is tighter than it will be months later. As the swelling resolves and the skin and muscles relax, the implants will settle into a more natural position. With tight skin and larger implants, it will take longer than average. You can check this link to see photos of a patient's breast augmentation over 9 months.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Is my breast augmentation dropping normally?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

How long does it take for implants to drop

Based on your photos, you are progressing fairly normally.   Your breast tissue, skin, and muscle will take approximately 6 months to completely relax and stretch to accommodate your implants.  There already appears to have been some improvement from the first postop photo to the second.  As the implant drops when the lower part of the breast stretches out, your nipple will appear more centered rather than too low.
Good luck!

Breast Implant Dropping information

The final results are mostly present including "dropping of the implant" when implants are below the muscle within the first 3 months for most and certainly by a year. Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Augmentation - What to Expect and When Dropping Occurs

It’s not unusual for patients to have superior displacement of their breast implants in the immediate postoperative period. This is even more likely when larger implants are utilized. This occurs for a variety of reasons including spasm of the pectoralis muscles, skin tightness, and swelling.

Improvement in this condition may be seen as early as two weeks following surgery but in some cases may take several months to occur. In an effort to minimize this problem many plastic surgeons utilize a superior breast compression band. This device forces the implant in an inferior direction which keeps the inferior breast pocket fully expanded. In addition to this maneuver, it’s important to avoid underwire bras and push up bras in the immediate postoperative period. These devices have the potential to superiorly displace breast implants.

It’s important to realize that you’re still relatively early in the postoperative course and continued improvement is likely. If your breast implants are still superiorly displaced after six months, more aggressive maneuvers may be necessary. In most cases, this involves expansion of the inferior breast pocket with a procedure known as cupsulotomy.

If you’re concerned about implant displacement, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate. Your surgeon should be able to evaluate your situation and hopefully reassure you.

They will settle

Your results look good right now. You should wait 4 months or so after your surgery before you judge your results. In the meantime, follow your surgeon's instructions and wear your bra as advised. Your breasts will gradually round out at the bottom for a more natural appearance, and the won't sit so high up. Usually, women with tighter skin and who haven't had children will experience a slower rate of dropping. You can ask your surgeon if they recommend wearing a bandeau that can help.

Wait a Little Longer To See Results of Breast Augmentation

Please wait until about three to four months after your surgery to assess your results. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Natural tissue expansion occurs to allow this to happen, with the help of gravity. Please wait until at least your fourth month to consider revision surgery.