Could my Breast Asymmetry Surgery Have Been More Successful? (photo)

A year ago I had surgery to correct breast asymmetry. I had 280g implant on the left & 260g implant on the right (silicone) plus uplift on the right side. I still have a relative degree of asymmetry, could this have been improved? Could a larger implant on the left given a more even result? Also, my left nipple points very far to the side. My nipples did point to the side to begin with, but before the BA you could see some breast tissue before my armpit. Is this to do with implant position?

Breast asymmetry

+1

Yes, there is asymmetry.  This  is quite common after breast surgery when you start out with significant asymmetry.    The breast lift could use a revision based upon the photos, but it wll not be possible to attempt to centralize the other nipple without leaving a scar along the border and with  minimal success. 

Breast Asymmetry

+1

It is always easy for us to look at a picture and be a 'monday morning quarterback', saying how it could have been better.  The truth is improving breast asymmetry is a difficult task, and usually requires at least a secondary, touch up surgery.  You have a nice improvement to your breasts, even if they are still asymmetric.

I suspect that you have a 'vertical' or 'lollypop' lift on the right side, as it looks as thought there is still a bit of tissue and skin that is excessive under the right as compared to the relatively tight left breast.  Additionally, the right looks a bit bigger than the left despite having a smaller implant.  Based on your photographs, I would plan a conversion to an anchor scar on the right and replace that implant with a smaller one. By converting to an anchor, the excess skin (and extra tissue) will be removed under the breast.  On the left breast, a release of the lateral wall of the capsule will allow the implant to move the left and the areola will then move to the right.

Best of luck.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Could my Breast Asymmetry Surgery Have Been More Successful?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. In my opinion you are half way home. In other words, I ALWAYS recommend up to 3 operations in severe asymmetry. Your first stage was to get to a point where you look better. Now the second stage would be to do a left lift reduction and a right re positioning of the implant. If a third operation is needed than it should be a tweeking. 

Degrees of breast asymmetry

+1

You started out very asymmetrical and still are, but less so.  There was certainly more than 20 cc of difference when you started but the real difference you see is that your right breast is still much bigger tissue wise than your left.  You could re-reduce the right breast, leave the implants alone and be closer.  Without adjusting the tissue differences to more equality, you will never be as symmetrical as you like.  In other words, this can't be done just with implants alone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry correction can be improved with revision.

+1

Hi.

I think a revision should make you a lot better.  The things that I see are :  1) sagging on the underside of your right breast,   2) left breast smaller than right, and  3) left nipple pointing to the side.  All these things can be improved.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)