My Boyfriend Just Had His Front Tooth Filed to Make Space for Invisalign. He's Really Upset Because the Tooth is Now Noticeable?

He's only 6 weeks into invisalign and I hate to see him so upset. He's really, really upset that so much of his tooth was (from his perspective) filed off. Is it normal to slim down one of the two front teeth so much that it's visible to the naked eye? and why would hey do this? The dentist mentioned at the end of the appointment that a veneer may be necessary at some point in the future, and needless to say- it upset him even more since this was never part of the initial discussion/plans.

Shaved tooth

+1

This si a shame. while teeth are being moved and shaved they will look funny be sure things will get better fast as the space is used up. Maybe next time he can tell the Dr to shave less each time and things wont look so dramatic.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Slimming down teeth is not common with Invisalign unless you expand first

+1

Orthodontic cases present with too many teeth and too little space. Usually the dental arch has collapsed and this leads to anterior crowding.

Thus the dentist should create space at the back of the dental arch with expansion and maybe some stripping.

Enamel contouring in our practice is only done near the middle or last 1/3rd of treatment once the front teeth have been aligned, but there is either an overjet or triangular spaces present.

There is an infamous London clinic that specialises in trimming down healthy front teeth when they could easily have moved the back teeth and avoid the stripping.

So interproximal stripping is not necessary at the front at such an early stage.

I have done crowded cases with no stripping whatsoever.

Dr R Kumar

Raj Kumar, BDS, LDSRCS
London Cosmetic Dentist

Is Slimming teeth normal during invisalign

+1

What you are describing is called interproximal reduction or IPR.  It is common during invisalign treatment.  A small amount may need to be removed to make space for crowded teeth.  Not sure why the space would be so big.  I would discuss the issue with your dentist and if not happy with the answer seek a second opinion

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Over contouring a tooth

+1

Some minor narrowing of teeth is often programmed for Invisalign (and braces).  This should have been mentioned by the doctor BEFORE he started treatment.  Assuming that there was nothing wrong with the teeth before treatment, narrowing them so much that veneers are necessary after treatment is really malpractice...Get a second opinion ASAP if the doctor does not give you a good answer as to what is going on!

Robert Waxler, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist