My Bottom Lip Sticks out a Lot. What Are my Options?

Im 27 years old and my bottom lip sticks out a lot, not only the lip but the actual skin under it as well. I even have a deep wrinkle on my chin because of it. Its so bad that if i keep my mouth open, my bottom teeth also show. I have a slight overbite and a small chin. I find myself bitting my bottom lip a lot when i go out just to stop it from sticking out. I do not wish to have a chin implant as i have a thin upper lip and i think it would make me look boyish. Thank you, Isabel

Lip Appearance affected by Malocclusion (Underbite or Overbite) and Small Chin

+1

Without an examination or detailed photos and X-rays it would be impossible to tell you your best options. These steps are necessary when their is malocclusion such as an overbite or underbite together with a small or large chin for that matter. An Orthodontist, Plastic Surgeon with Craniofacial experience or an Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon  should be consulted to figure out what is best for you.

Correcting your protuberant bottom lip

+1

Correcting your protuberant bottom lip requires an assessment of your entire face, specifically your teeth, the bones your teeth go into (maxilla and mandible), and your lips. Submit us a picture. Also seek the opinion of someone experienced in maxillofacial surgery such as a plastic surgeon or an oral & maxillofacial surgeon with cosmetic experience.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Lip Injections and reductions

+1

Dear Isabel,

• It sounds like you have a few different things going on that would best addressed by seeing someone
  • Sometimes fixing one thing, like a lip reduction, may be the answer, and sometimes doing a couple of other procedures will bring more balance to your face
  • In the end, you want to look better, a specialist will help describe your options and how you can best benefit from them

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Prominent Lower Lip - Why?

+1

There are alot of reasons for a prominent lower lip and the treatment will depend on the reason. A common reason is related to the teeth. Many people who have an overbite as you describe also may have a bit of an "open" bite. The two problems together may causea a problem in holding your mouth shut leading to hypertrophy of the oral muscles. If this is the case then orthodontic treatment of you bite problem may alleviate the problem. A chin implant would probably cause the situation to worsen. There are a number of ways to tighten a lower lip to treat the prominence, the correct one depends upon an evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon experienced in these problems.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon