Is my Body Trying to Reject the Implants?

I had the 1st surgery on April 2011. 3 weeks later my right 1 ruptured, 3 months later in August of 2011 my right 1 ruptured. Then this past Saturday my right 1 ruptured again. They sat perfect, looked, & felt great. So why does this keep happening to me??

Implant rejection

+1
The most common reason for saline implant failure early on is underfill. The suggested volume of fill listed on the implant is not compatible with scientific evidence that has shown overfilled implants last longer. I suggest that you replace your implants with a smaller size and overfill it to your current volume. Silicon is an inert substance and rejection does not occur. Even if it did, implant rupture is not a sign of rejection.

Ruptured saline implants

+1

Sounds like you've had a run of really bad luck with your implants.  It is not really possible for your body to reject the implants.  Perhaps your surgeon can investigate the problem with the implant manufacturer.

Dennis Dass, MD

Multiple ruptures in the acute post-op period

+1

is unheard of as alluded to by the other posters.  I would confirm the implants are legitimate brands, your surgeon is qualified, and his/her technique does not place you at increased risks for rupture.  I assume you have saline implants and I've never seen or heard of the experience you describe in my 20 years.

Curtis Wong, MD

Failure of the prosthesis after breast augmentation is not due to "rejection".

+1

Breast implants never undergo biologic rejection. Failure of an implant three times over several years is unheard of. The most common cause of implant failure is fatigue of the silicone shell. The failure rate it 10 years is only 2%. The reason for your extraordinary bad luck is worthy of investigation.

Three Ruptured Implants in less than 2 Years

+1

Three ruptured implants in less than 2 years is statistically very improbable.  Other than repeated trauma from sharp instruments, it is difficult to guess the reason for the ruptures.  More form stable implants may be an option.  

Rupturing implants

+1

Ruptured implants are not a common occurrence.  I can not specificually guess why this has happened to you. Did you expereince any trauma?

+1

I am not certain what you mean by "rejection," but no, this is not your body's response to implants. 

When this happens real close to surgery, one wonders about trauma to the implant during insertion. It would be helpful to know if these are saline or silicone. If saline, a switch to silicone may be helpful, along with atraumatic insertion with use of  a Keller funnel (ask your surgeon). 

Why you have been so troubled with implant leaks I cannot explain.