Do I Need my Binder Any More?

I am two weeks past my surgery and I had a tummy tuck with abdominal repair. My doctor says I no longer need my binder. I am returning to work in two days where I work on my feet for ten hours. I think I need a little support around my stomach because it feels like it just needs support. The binder squeezes me too much. I already knid of feel like I am being squeezed on the inside because I never had the support after having 5 kids and only weighing 104. I thought about using an ace bandage.

Compression after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+1

Patients should always check with their own plastic surgeon when it comes to specifics after tummy tuck surgery. In my practice, I find the use of some type of compression garment helpful during the first 6 to 8 weeks after the procedure is performed.

Often, as patients become more active and return to exercise, abdominal wall swelling increases. The use of compression garments helps “control” the swelling.

After a few months,  swelling dissipates as the venous and lymphatic channels  begin to function normally.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Binder post TT

+1

In your situation, I would recommend something like SPANX.  It will provide you with the support you feel you need without being as tight as a binder.  I usually have patients wear some sort of compression for 6 weeks post abdominoplasty.  Usually that entails 2-3 weeks of a binder followed by 3-4 weeks of SPANX.  Just make sure your surgeon is ok with this.

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Binder after Tummy Tuck may be comforting

+1

I recommend my patients wear some sort of compression for 6-8 weeks. Usually this is the abdomin

Hello

+1

In our practice we tell our patients to wear the compression garment for about 3 months post-surgery. Usually a second stage garment would be better. Like a Spanx, you should get an opinion.

Binder after TT

+1

I recomend to my patients to use some support for 6 weeks after surgery. Early on (you are still early) the support keeps the skin against the abdominal wall and helps in reattaching the skin to the muscles and minimizes seroma formation. Later on the patients become more mobile  the role of the "binder" is supports the muscles and help with the swelling.

I place a garment at the end of the surgical procedure. At two weeks I recomend to the patient the use of a girdle of their choice . The garment needs to be tight and secure from above and below so as not to roll. Your idea of an ace wrap is not good, it will roll and create bands of tightness that may result in creases in the skin and detter from a good surgical result. 

Do I Need my Binder Any More

+1

Many or most of my patients wear their binders for longer that I suggest. If it is tight, loosen it. If it is a fixed size, get one with velcro that is adjustable. Alternative, andy compression wear such as Spanx  should help.

Thanks and best wishes.