4 months post op Tummy Tuck, What Can I Do About my Belly Button? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck done 4 months and my belly button looks horrible. My belly button didn't heal properly and now I have a noticeable scar. I was wondering should I get my belly button scar revised or should I try steroid objections and laser to change the appearance if the scar?

About your belly button

Your  are  doing  a   keloid   ,   wich is  a pathologycal process  of  cicatrization   and   of  course    needs medical   treatment ,   The  inicial    treatment   at  this  point     should  be intralesional injections   of  an  steroid ,   and    also topic   silicon laminates  will   be  great ,  is  very  known   the action   of pressure   on  keloids .  but   this     should  be   follow   by   your   doctor .  Talk    to  your    doctor ,  and he  will   start    your treatment

Belly Button Keloid Scaring

The best thing to try first is steroid injections.  I would also recommend topical treatments to be performed along with the steroid injections.

Scar question

I would use kenalog steroid injections to soften, flatten and reduce the redness of the scars. Typically 3 treatments on every 3 months. It will help a lot! Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scar of belly button

Steroids may help.  I would give more time before scar revision.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Steroid injections

Thanks for the inquiry, I would try steroid injections first and wait a year before trying an surgical scar revision.  Good luck.

Hypetrophic belly button scar after tummy tuck

Hypertrophic scar will often respond to steriod injections and it seems the safe thing to try before revising the scar. Laser is too slow for many to fuss with.

Scar Revision

As some have suggested, steroids injections may help flatten the scar.  However, I suspect that you will need a small scar revision to remove the hypertrophic tissue and start over the a thinner incision.  The after surgery close attention to incision care, silicone sheeting or other post-op products to help reduce recurrent of the hypertrophic scar.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

#ScarRevision Options

From your photo, it appears that you have a hypertrophic scar that resulted from the tummy tuck. Steroids will likely make little difference at this point. You would likely best benefit from a scar revision with more agressive post op management in case this begins to happen again. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Talk to your plastic surgeon

At 4 months, steroids might be an easy way to start and they might give you the desired result. A surgical revision can be done if the steroids fail.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

What Can I Do About my Belly Button?

A photo would make it possible to give you the best response that I or any of us who answer these inquiries  could provide. 

If the issue is the thickness of the scar, steroids are appropriate, and laser is also. Your surgeon can help given the chance to see the scar and discuss with you the options. 

Thanks and best wishes.