Why is my Belly Button Still Weeping 2 Weeks Post Anchor Cut Tummy Tuck?

Following losing 270lbs, I had an anchor cut tummy tuck 2 Weeks ago. Everything looks amazing, except my belly button. It isn't infected, but it is still seeping blood and serous fluid. I have had prior hernia repairs, so this is a new belly button. I am having home care nursing come and clean it every day. Should I be worried my new belly button is taking so long to heal?

+1

The belly button is often the slowest to heal after abdominoplasty.

I'm certain your surgeon has instructed you in local wound care and cleanliness.

I suggest you see him or her to ensure there is not a suture that needs to be removed or another correctable factor that can be taken care of in order to speed your healing.

Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Drainage from navel after tummy tuck

+1

There are a number of possibilities, but in my experience the likeliest cause is an undissolved suture that needs to be removed. Many of us use buried dissolving sutures around the navel, but the skin is thin and they often protrude through the skin and are best removed when that occurs. 

Other possibilities fluid collections (seroma--serum, hematoma-blood, or infection related to either of these two). 

Seeing your surgeon is the best way to ease your worries.

Belly button drainage

+1

There are a few reasons to have prolonged belly button drainage after a tummy tuck including:

-seroma/hematoma

-infection

-non-viable soft-tissue

It will be important to have your plastic surgeon take a look at this area as the treatment will be different depending on which of the above sources of drainage is involved.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/plastic-surgery/tummy-tuck.cfm