My Belly Button to Close to my Scar After Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Photobucket

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your picture, you are only weeks out of your tummy tuck surgery. It is therefore too early to make a final assessment. However, I do agree with you that your incision line and umbilicus do appear to be close;  exactly why this has occurred is hard to know without knowing more about your preoperative situation, intraoperative findings,  or “challenges” faced by your plastic surgeon...

At this point, there is not much that can be done to improve your situation. However, I would suggest that you evaluate the end results of surgery again approximately one year after the procedure. You may find that revisionary surgery to reposition the abdominoplasty scar and/or revise the umbilicus may be helpful.

Assuming you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, I would suggest continued follow-up with him/her.

Actually, your abdominoplasty scar is too close to your belly button (too high).

+2

You appear to have had an adequately-performed tummy tuck. However, without seeing your preoperative photos, it is really inappropriate for me to pass judgement on your surgeon's efforts on your behalf. But you asked, so I will attempt to answer.

I think the cuff of skin around your umbilicus is too large, and even with the scar fading, you will have a "bullseye" effect scar around the normal funnel shape of your belly button. This could have been better.

Your abdominoplasty scar is higher than most ABPS-certified plastic surgeons would consider appropriate, but every patient is different and unique challenges may have made this scar position necessary. Generalizing where perhaps I shouldn't, it appears as if better incision placement could have yielded a lower scar.

Did you have your surgery performed by an ABPS-certified plastic surgeon? Or was this done by a non-plastic surgeon performing cosmetic operations? Check if your surgeon is a "real" plastic surgeon at plasticsurgery.org. If he or she is, then this may be as good as your anatomy allowed, or a sign of less experience. If NOT, then the same could be true, but there is a reason that plastic surgery training and ABPS-certification takes so long and is so rigorous. We DO strive to be better than those doctors who have little or no plastic surgery training and "certification" by bogus boards or in specialties that have little or nothing to do with plastic surgery.

I'm sorry to tell you that your result is what it is, and all you can do now is to hope your scars fade. Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

TT scar too high??

+1

Although it appears that the contour of your abdomen is pretty good, the main incision is rather high and it appears higher on your right side than on the left. Why the incision is where it is may be determined by the pre-operative situation, and we are not privvy to the pre-op photos. 

We usually try to keep the incision at or below the top of the pubic hair line, but there are exceptions that may alter that plan. 

Discuss with your surgeon what can be done to lower the scar. It may require re-doing the tummy tuck in the future when the skin has recovered and stretched out a bit.