How Will my Belly Button Look? (photo)

Hi! I'm really sad because two different doctors have told me that I can't have a full tummy tuck because I don't have enough skin :( They said they can do a mini TT with lipo. One surgeon told me that I will have a small vertical scar below my belly button. Do you think my belly button will look good? I was really looking forward for a FTT, I don't know what to do. I don't want to end up unhappy with the results.

Belly Button Appearance is More Important Than You Think

+2

I am a firm believer that the belly button is a distinct aesthetic unit of the abdomen, and a poorly performed belly button inset is a huge tip off to a bad tummy tuck. Fortunately for you, the belly button appearance is not your biggest problem. From your photos, it does appear that you do not have enough extra skin for a full tummy tuck. However, sometimes photos can be deceiving. Further, I am not a big fan of a true "mini-tummy tuck" since it really only addresses the lower abdominal contour and often results in an awkward appearance of the unoperated upper abdomen. What you may be a good candidate for is an operation that I am performing more and more in candidates like you. I call it a modified mini-tummy tuck. What it entails is a small incision (like in a mini-tummy tuck), but with a full plication (muscle tightening) of the entire abdominal wall musculature.  Sometimes, I perform this operation with the help of an endoscope, which helps me to limit the incision size. Frequently, I am able to perform this operation without making an incision around the belly button at all.

Belly button and scar after Tummy Tuck

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos. There are several ways that a FTT can be done and still look good based on the photos you show. Yes, if you want the scar really low, then maybe you might have a very short vertical scar right above the pubis but that scar will fade in time and be relatively hidden. Also, the scar centrally can somtimes be modified so that there is no vertical scar at all. I haven't had the benefit of an exam but you  may be disappointed with a mini-tummy tuck To be sure, you may want to see a third plastic surgeon. I know you have seen two, but this is your body and you do want to get the result that you want. I rarely ever have to leave a vertical scar.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question then picture.

Of course, it will be in your best interests to receive advice after direct physical examination.

However, based on your picture and your goals,  I think you will be better off with a full tummy tuck ( even if there is a short vertical incision located in the center of the transverse incision),  then undergoing a mini tummy tuck procedure. This vertical incision does not have to be close to the bellybutton.

Generally speaking ,the appearance of the umbilicus after tummy tuck surgery is of critical importance to many patients. Essentially, it is the only scar visible when patients are wearing undergarments or swimming suits. It can be a telltale sign of a patient who has had abdominal plastic surgery.  As much as possible, it is best to keep the belly button relatively small, oval shaped, and attempt to hide the resulting scars.

TT options

+2

It's difficult to say what the best abdominal procedure will be for you from these photos (especially without the benefit of a physical examination).   Even in patients that do not appear to have a significant amount of excess skin in the standing position may be candidates for a full TT which typically gives a superior result than a mini tt.  My best advice is for you to seek out the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon.  You must feel comfortable with the information you receive on the pros and cons to various surgical approaches to your particular complaint and ultimately make a decision based on this information.  good luck

Sean A. Simon, MD