Re Do my Augmentation? They Are Too Big and Unnatural Looking?

I wanted a natural looking moderate plus 330-350 to get me from a small b to a full c. I am only 5ft 100 lbs. my dr. said I was to petite for a moderate plus profile and I should go bigger because all women wish they would have gone bigger. It's been 3 weeks since my surgery of 400cc high profile saline and I HATE them. They are so big and unnatural looking. Will they get smaller as they drop? Will they get softer? Can I redo the surgery and is moderate plus not appropiate for my size

+1

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.

It is not uncommon for patients to feel that they are “too small” or “too big” during the early time period (several weeks) after breast surgery.  Many of these same patients are quite pleased with the outcome of the procedure in the longer-term.  Therefore, I ask my patients to wait at least 3 to 6 months before judging the final outcome of the procedure performed.

For women considering breast augmentation surgery in the future, careful communication between patient and plastic surgeon is one of the keys to successful outcomes; in my  practice I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

In your case, if you remain displeased with the outcome of the procedure in the longer-term,  I would encourage you to communicate your concerns in a calm/constructive fashion with your plastic surgeon.  It should be possible with the use of smaller breast implant sizes/profiles to achieve your goals.

Unnatural Breast Appearance

+1
It is quite disconcerting for the patient when their breast appear different after surgery then their expectations. In your particular case, based on the facts you supplied, it is unlikely that they will get significantly smaller. Picking the right implant is paramount. I’ve posted this information before, but it is quite important for the patients to be educated on this, so I will post it again.

There are a number of different methods to choose proper implant size, including placing an implant inside the bra, specialized “prosthesis” sizing methods, etc. The same implant size will have different shape and size in two different patients, due to variability of pre-operative anatomy of individual patient. In my practice I found that the most accurate way to create the breast shape and size that patients want is by reviewing with the patient literally dozens of photos. This can take a bit of time, as I explain to the patient in each photo various aspects of breast appearance – fullness on top, fullness on the bottom, degree of cleavage, degree of breast tissue on the side, the forward projection, etc. Once the patient and I clearly understand the look that the patient wants, then it’s up to me to choose the correct implant (size, shape, composition), choose the correct pocket creation to achieve the look the patient wants. An experienced and talented surgeon can use his judgment, as well as trials of various breast implant sizers during surgery (it takes extra effort, but it’s worth it) to achieve the desired look.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Implants too big after surgery

+1

At three weeks I would expect that you still have a lot of swelling which will make your breasts seem larger. This swelling will go down over the next few months. I tell my patients that if they feel like they are too big right after surgery, they are more likely to be happy with the final result than if they are happy with their size right after surgery because they will get smaller when the swelling goes away. However, 400 cc does seem big for someone your size so you may want to change to a smaller size eventually. As far as the high profile is concerned, you probably have a small frame so high profile may be your best option so that the implants don't extend around and under your armpit. But do be patient and see your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast are usually swollen after implants

+1

It very common for breasts to appear too large and unnatural in the first few weeks after surgery.  For now you should massage them a couple times a day and be patient.  It will take some time for the implants to settle.  If you ultimately do not like your result, the implants can be changed.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Not Natural Appearing After Breast Augmentation

+1

Patience with the healing process is very important (and also very difficult for any of us) following a breast augmentation procedure.  Three weeks post-op is far too early to worry about how the size your breasts 'appear.'  With time (6 weeks to 3 months) your breasts size and shape will significantly change.  They will come down notably and have a much 'softer' appearance.  

If after 3 months you still feel that your breasts are too large, then you should share this concern with your plastic surgeon and discuss the possibility of placing smaller implants down the road.

While many patients feel that they 'could have gone a bit bigger,' they are almost all universally happy with their result.  I feel it is most important to listen to my patients and encourage them to participate in developing the surgical plan so that I can help them achieve their ideal result!  

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

I would give them time...

+1

It's still to soon to say if the size is just right. Give them a few more months to "settle" down. They are probably still swollen a bit and they will drop some.

hope this helps,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Unhappy After Breast Augmentation

+1

Immediately after breast augmentation, there is a certain amount of tissue memory in the lower breast tissue that gives the visual impression of the implants sitting too high and looking too round and "fake." In most cases, the tissues relax over several weeks to months and the implants "settle" into position and assume their final shape. During this time, the breast softens and looks and feels "more natural.

Occasionally, and fortunately rarely, patients are dissatisfied with their implant choices and desire exchage for a different size or profile. In most cases, it is advisible to wait until the implants have settled before making that decision, but it is possible to exchange them sooner if necessary.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

The b reasts are probably still swollen at three weeks, give them time to settle down. If not happy you can always have them redone.

Hello

+1

Its to early to be able to tell if you went to big, you are swollen and it takes months for that to subside. Give it some time. In our practice we say that 225cc equall about one size.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Stick to your instincts for breast augmentation

+1

Size and the look are personal choices in breast augmentation, and there is no need to wish for what other women had. For all, show your surgeon what you feel is your 'look' and stick with it. A high profile saline is rather round and projecting. You can wait several months, though softer and smaller is a guess.