Can my Asymmetrical Eyes Be Fixed? (photo)

Dear doctors,I'm 17 years old, male Caucasian.4 years ago I suffered from edema causing me swelling.I was treated, however my eyes never returned to their former shape. I have asymmetrical eyes when comparing the left eye to the right one. My upper eyelid in the left side is droopier than the right one and looks different in angles and I have twisted epicanthic fold. The highlighted pic will show what I'm struggling from. What type of surgery do I need to fix my eyes? Please help.

Extremely subtle ptosis

+1

Although the very subtle asymmetry is present between the two eyes, your preoccupation with this is likely out of proportion to the asymmetry. The asymmetry is very likely to have been there even before the episode of edema that you speak of.

Body dysmorphic disorder is not an unreasonable thing to consider, as described below. I would discourage surgery for you, and if this truly very bothersome to you, I agree than an consultation with psychiatrist or psychologist is where I would start.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+1

You have mild left upper eyelid ptosis, which can be improved. You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon for further discussion to decide if that is a reasonable option for you.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is highly improbable that anyone but you notice this issue.

+1

If you find yourself thinking about this issue a lot (hours per day), avoid social situations because you think that people are talking about this issue behind your back or are staring at you because of this issue, then it is likely that you have a thought disorder called body dysmorphic disorder (BDD).  

Is it possible to lift your left upper eyelid fold so it matches the right side surgically?  This may or may not be the basis for what bothers you.  What is known is that patients with BDD and their surgeons often miscommunicate.  This means you have surgery and the surgery does not address what was bothering you.  That is a very bad thing because you retain the original issue and have a new problem as a result of misdirected surgery.  This can lead to a spiral of well meaning but unsatisfactory surgeries.

If you agree that you might have BDD, I would recommend working with a psychologist.  I am not sure that there is a "cure" for BDD.  However, having insight from therapy is very helpful for understanding how you see things and helps you avoid getting in trouble by acting on those thoughts.

I do occasional do surgery or filler service for individuals with BDD but it is hard work making sure that there has been very clear communication regarding what the issues are and what is or is not achievable with surgery.