My Areolas Are Two Different Sizes and Still Very Big? (photo)

I had a breast lift in july 2012. My areolas are not only two different sizes, their also two different shapes and still very big. I fill like I was ripped off. It took me three years to save up enough money to get this surgery. Anyways is there another surgery I can get just to fix my aerolas? Would I have two different scars? Are the scars around my aerolas now gonna effect getting some kind of aerola reduction in the future? Should I ask the same surgeon to fix them for free? My insurance?

Breast Lift

+2

Not having seen your preoperative photographs makes this a little more difficult to answer.  However, generally, I believe you have gotten a very nice result.  Your scars are still "pink" and that will get better.  The Areola size is somewhat different.  However, that is not "abnormal".  Patients with variation like that may have a decrease in sensation and "motor" function from "nerve stretch" which can allow the nipple to "open up" a little.  While it can be fixed or improved, I would discourage that since you may be trading one problem for another. 

As always, I believe that you should discuss your emotions about this problem with your primary surgeon.  You trusted him before you had surgery and you should trust him afterwards.  He obviously knows what he is doing and should do the right thing.  His philosophy toward revisional surgery is well established as this is not the first time he has had to do a revision....all plastic surgeons a revising minor problems all the time.

Chattanooga Plastic Surgeon

My Areolas Are Two Different Sizes and Still Very Big?

+2

Other than the areolar asymmetry this looks like a nice result. To my eye, the areola on the left looks a bit small for the breast size, and I would be most reluctant to make it smaller. 

Revising the areola can be done without new scars, most likely with local anesthesia. The right side could be made smaller, or the left side could be made larger. You should discuss your options with your surgeons. Nothing will get resolved online. Many surgeons would wave a professional fee, many would charge for operating room and for anesthesia, though the latter is probably not necessary. 

Thank you for your question and for the posted photo. All the best. 

Areola different size?

+1

Thanks for your photo.   It is not uncommon to have minor asymmetry following breast reduction/mastopexy. Breasts are naturally asymmetrical to start with.  You need to express your concerns to your plastic surgeon who would be able to advise you about any further surgery.  I think its actually a good result overall.  Best of luck!

Vladimir Milovic, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Areola Reduction

+1

In total, this is a nice result.  No matter who performs the procedure and no matter how perfect the result on the table, areola over time will become asymmetric.  This is always something to consider before any type of areolar revision.