How Much Will My Areolas Stretch After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

I don't want them to stretch out like the photo. If I choose to get very large implants, will they stretch out like that? How much will my areolas stretch? Is it possible for them to remain the same or close to the same as before surgery? Thanks.

Areola size

+1

Breast augmentation results in minimal stretching of the areola.  At this time, your areolas appear smaller than the average size, which is about 42 millimeters.  If you areolas did stretch, they would be a more normal size.  Certainly, you will not stretch to the size shown in the photograph.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Areolas can stretch following augmentation

+1

and usually it is more so in women who have had children and experienced the enlarging areola that comes with pregnancy.  You will not have the 'after' result that you provided.

Curtis Wong, MD

Areolas will likely remain the same with breast augmentation

+1

After breast augmentation, if the incision is not periareolar, nipple areolar complexes will remain close to the same as before surgery.

Donna Rich, MD

Areola size

+1

There may be some stretching of the areolas, but not significant like the photo.  Look at before and after photos from your surgeon and you will find that they only slighly stretch and actually usually fit the new breast size and shape well.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Areola will not stretch out as much as this one....

+1

I would suggest looking at before and after pictures of the surgeon that you are considering using to see similar photos of ladies like you before and after augmentation.  They will certainly stretch but it is unusual for them to stretch like the ones in the photo you showed.  The areolas here likely were stretched out from being on much larger breasts or during pregnancy and it looks like they may have had a lift performed just around the areola (with a questionable result at best.)  I would agree with speaking to other surgeons about what you could realistically expect based on an in person exam.  Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Areolar stretch after breast augmentation

+1
Is this your preop photo? The amount of stretch would be dependent on the laxity of your skin, the starting size of the nipple areolar complex and the amount of enlargement. This is certainly an issue to discuss with your plastic surgeon at the time of consultation.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Areola stretching after augmentation

+1

I agree that there is frequently some areola widening after augmentation surgery.  However, this is more often noticeable in women who have had children prior to surgery as their areolas were "pre stretched" before their augmentation, especially if they had nursed their children.  If the photo on the left is you, it seems unlikely that your areolas would look like the ones on the right.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Areola enlargement and breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

If the photo on the left is your pre-op picture, then it is very unlikely that your areolar will stretch to the size show on the picture on the right.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Areola Size after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You can expect the areola,  like the remainder of breast skin, to spread to some degree after breast augmentation  surgery.  It is likely that the larger the breast implants used, the more the  areola will spread. The pictures that you have posted however do not represent what the areola generally look like before and after breast augmentation surgery.

I would  suggest that you ask the same questions of your selected plastic surgeon; asked to see lots of examples of patients similar to you.

How Much Will My Areolas Stretch After Breast Augmentation?

+1

I am not sure where you found the post-op photos, but the areolar size is probably the least of the problems I see in those photos. At any rate, without seeing her pre-op photos, I have no idea how much stretch of her areolae she got from her breast surgery.

With any size of implants, your areolae will stretch some. Usually if you pull tightly around the breast skin that will give you an index of the amount of size change you can expect with a reasonably sized implant. 

If the picture you show on the right is any index of your goal size, you will have to consider staging the operation, and having a modest sized set of implants inserted, followed after 6-12 months with larger ones. 

Implants like those on the right will probably look quite unnatural, and may have long term harmful effects on your overall breast appearance. You would be fortunate if you decide you like the more modest size you get at a first stage.

Thanks for the question and the photos. Best wishes.