Is my Anatomy Abnormal? What Would You Recommend to Make my Breasts Look Less Widely Spaced and my Ribcage More Even? (photo)

I've always been self conscious about my ribcage and breasts. Though I would like my breasts to be bigger, a large B or a modest C, the biggest problem I have with them is not their size, but their spacing. Also, I've always felt like my ribcage looks uneven and particularly convex. This bothers me to the point that I don't wear tight clothing and never wear bathing suits for fear of people seeing my "deformity," despite being petite at 5'3", narrow shouldered, and quite thin at 98 lbs. Help?

Recommendation For A More Even Anatomy

+1

Boney chest wall asymmetries like yours cannot be corrected surgically, but they can be disguised by a well planned breast augmentation. The implant should be centered inline with the breast and not the sternum. You would be a good candidate for this. The breast augmentation will draw eyes away from the boney asymmetry.

Decrease breast space using Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift

+1

Your photographs show your areolas and breasts are too far apart.  I recommend Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift leaving only an incision around the areola.  It is possible to move your breast tissue more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through this incision, implants can be placed to increase the size and provide symmetry.  Your photographs also show your right breast is smaller than the left.  I recommend the smallest silicone gel implant possible (less than 200 cc) placed retro-pectoral.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Not Abnormal

+1

I'd have to agree with the other surgeons.  You don't have abnormal anatomy.  A modest augmentation is very likely to improve the areas you want address.  It is difficult to determine what degree of asymmetry you have from the pictures provided, however, any slight differences from side to side can be magnified by an augmentation.  Your a wonderful candidate for the surgery... just keep the size limitations in mind.  

Michael Brucker, MD

Breast assymetry

+1

Most women have some degree of assymetry of their breasts both before and after surgery.  You are correct that your breasts are far apart and your right nipple points more to the side than the other one.  Although I feel you are an excellent candidate for breast augmentation, there will,inevitably be some assymetry after surgery, even though every attempt would be made to make them as even as possible.Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Space between your breasts

+1

You should not be so self conscious, you are just as normal as the next woman. Your breasts are relatively small and the skin is very tight.  The gap between your breasts is most pronounced near the bottom of the breasts, where your breast have little tissue, and where a breast augmentation could most effectively and safely narrow the gap.

I am glad you don't want such a large augmentation, because placing a large implant in you would lead to disaster; the tightness of your skin would increase your risk of complications with either a large or high profile type implant.  Additionally, high profile implants make a gap more prominent, not less.  Dimensional analysis of your body will give the surgeon information to choose the correct size implant for your body, giving you a pleasing improvement to your chest appearance while also minimizing the risk of complications.

You should have a few consultations with surgeons that have a great reputation for all types of aesthetic breast surgery.  A minimum but important requirement would be certification by the ABPS and membership to the ASAPS.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Abnormal anatomy v. Normal

+1

I would say it is a stretch to say you have abnormal anatomy.  You will do well with a breast augmentation and I think will get a better result that what you are thinking. The little bit of mild asymmetry you have will still be there.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implants and chest shape

+1

Everyones chest is a bit different.  Implants will help narrow the space between yoru breasts, but remember you are limited by your anatomy.

Chest Space and Implants

+1

Your situation and anatomy are not uncommon!  Adding an implant will make the space between your breasts smaller.  We are constrained somewhat by your anatomy, but given that you are thin even a small implant will make a big difference.  While your breasts will likely never touch or "kiss" together without a bombshell bra I think you would likely be very happy with breast augmentation surgery.  I would recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what options might be available for you.  Best of luck!  Dr. K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation will help to make the breasts larger but the shape of your breasts and distance in be similar afterwards

+1

Breast implants are a great way to gain more volume.  But, typically, how you look afterwards has everything to do with how your breasts are shaped before.  I always tell my patients that you can put two of the same sized implants in two different women and they will look very different because the breast tissue really frames the way the implants will look.  So, you will gain volume but the distance in between your breasts will most likely be the same as it is now and you will most likely have some asymmetry afterwords too.  But in any dress you wear or bathing suit you wear, the symmetry should be just fine so that you are not so self conscious.  (This is just my very best opinion from your photos.  Please consult your plastic surgeon and see what you can find out after a physical exam.)

Richard H. Lee, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Abnormal anatomy

+1

A lot of what we do in plastic surgery has to do with illusion.  Though you have some asymmetry, implants would help to camouflage these and create an appearance that looks less asymmetric.  There is not any procedure to move your nipples closer as you do not need any type of lift.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon