Is It Safe To Get Septo/Rhinoplasty At Age 17? And Does The Bone Grow After?

My Age is 17 + is It Safe to Get a Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty at the Same Time And Does the Bone Grows After the Rhinoplasty??

My general rule of thumb for rhinoplasty is any patient who is a candidate and is also post-pubescent.  Nasal bone growth is generally over by that time, and I often perform septoplasty and rhinoplasty at the same time. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

670 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Safe to have rhinoplasty and septoplasty at age 17

Rhinoplasty should not be performed until the nose has reached its adult size. This is typically achieved at age 15 or 16 years old for females and 16 to 17 years old for males. It should be fine for you to have a rhinoplasty since you are 17 and your nose is most likely done growing. I would recommend consulting with an experienced facial plastic surgeon to ensure your nose has stopped growing.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

9401 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Septorhinoplasty at 17 years of age

The minimum recommended age to have rhinoplasty performed is 16 years of age for boys and 15 for girls.  Your nasal bones will have finished growing at that point. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

120 South Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Septo/rhinoplasty at age 17

Facial bones have stopped growing by age 17, so it is acceptable to undergo a septorhinoplasty.  It is safe and common to have both septoplasty and rhinoplasty performed at the same time.  Just remember that a septoplasty is done for breathing issues and is billed to the patient’s medical insurance, while cosmetic rhinoplasty is billed to the patient.

1101 Madison St
Seattle, WA 98104

Septorhinoplasty and timing of repair

To answer your questions in general terms, it is typically safe for a male at age 16 and a female over the age of 15. There are always exceptions but you should be fine for the procedure. Typically, all bones in your body may experience some minor growth or changes until about 21 depending on the person but this should not impact your procedure.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1361 13th Ave South
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Septo rhino at 17

Given no other issues should be safe to have that procedure at age 17

in fact in most situations should be ok to have Septo rhino at age  12 in a female and 13 in a male

but generally we wait until patients are e,optionally mature 

that time point varies dependent on the patient

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

1400 N Interstate 35 Frontage Rd
Austin, TX 78701

Minimum Age For Septorhinoplasty

By 17 years of age, whether it is a male or a female, the nasal structures are essentially fully grown and surgery can proceed at any time. Your issue for rhinoplasty surgery is not an anatomic or devepmental concern but whether your parents are in agreement with your desire for surgery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Septorhinoplasty Timing and Growth

In women, skeletal maturity is achieved by age 17 on average.  Additional growth if any following a nasal procedure at your age would likely have no negative effect on the rhinoplasty outcome. 

The septoplasty and the rhinoplasty are best done at the same surgical setting to help minimize scarring of multiple nasal procedures. Additionally, portions of the septum, which is exposed during septoplasty, are used to enhance certain aspects of the rhinoplasty.

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030-1524

Girls can have rhinoplasty at age 14 and boys at age 16.

Of course these are generalizations but quite valid. Anatomical development is not what makes us put off nasal surgery.  You need emotional maturity, motivation, and parental support. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075