Can I Have my Abdominal Muscles Tightened Without a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm 30, and have 4 children ages 6 to 16 months. I am 7 lbs. over my pre-pregnant weight, which I got back to with the first three, and was 5 lbs. over when I got pregnant with my 4th. I can lose the weight through exercise and diet, but my abdominal muscles are stretched out. I haven't seen my flat tummy since getting pregnant with my 3rd. Can I have my abdominal muscles tightened without doing a full tummy tuck? I don't want the hip to hip scar. If it's possible, what would that procedure entail?

Tightening the abdomen without a tummy tuck

+1

The rectus diastasis, or the split between the rectus muscles that often occurs after pregnancy, can be repaired through a C-section type incision. Not everyone does this procedure as it is technically more difficult, so best to ask the plastic surgeon's coordinator prior to making your appointment.

Can I Have my Abdominal Muscles Tightened Without a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes a short scar TT or Endo TT can be done but very hard operation to do just recti tightening. Best to obtain in person opinions. 

+1

Yes, if there is minimal skin laxity this can be accomplished through a small incision.  This would involve dissecting a small path overlying the rectus fascia and sewing the fascia together to correct diastasis.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Endoscopic Tummy Tuck

+1

It is possible to tighten the abdominal muscles using an endoscope. The  skin is then flattened with liposuction. You would seem one of the few people on which this could work if you do not have intraabdominal fat causing the prominence pf your abdomen. The only way to tell is with an exam by a qualified plastic surgeon with experience with endoscopic surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic abdominoplasty

+1

Yes this can be done and is called an endoscopic assisted abdominoplasty. Only a few patients out of a hundred need this particular operation. You need to have good skin elasticity and minimal stretch marks with of course the rectus diastasis that you want repaired.Make sure you find a certified doctor who knows how to do the procedure. The biggest risk is that you have excess skin after the procedure since the muscles will be sewn together and the skin has to shrink to the new flat surface. I use a short c section incision and remove a few inches of lower skin. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon